Reload this Page >

Dover to Normandy

Search

Dover to Normandy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:01 AM
FLJudi

Dover to Normandy

We're considering a trip to Normandy after returning from a cruise which docks in Dover, England. What would you suggest as the best way (quickest/most economical)way to cross the channel? What French ports are the most convenient, and large enough to have a rental car pick up location?

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Vincent

It's very straightforward: board one of the zillions ferries from Dover to Calais (I would recommend Hoverspeed, which is quicker). They are very cheap for foot passengers (something like £ 20 return), and once in Calais, take the ferry's company free shuttle to the centre of town (possibly the train station), and from there on rent a car.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:07 AM
amiwrong

Vincent<BR>Unless it has gone back into service I think the hovercraft no longer runs...only regular ferries now available.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Vincent

Yes, the classic original Hovercraft went out of business last year, but now they have super rapid "normal" boats (usually Italian built, called Seacats) that do the trick as quickly as the Hovercrafts, without being sensitive to rough weather conditions the way their predecessors were. <BR> <BR>Coming back to the original posting, normal speed ferry companies, such as P&O or Seafrance might have rental car agencies in their terminals in Calais. It might be worth it checking it out.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:22 AM
FLJudi

Thanks for your responses - I can always count on the nice people on the Fodors message board to help.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Betsy

FLJ, we crossed the Channel by ferry, landed in Calais and picked up our rental car right at the dock. We used AutoEurope (www.autoeurope.com) I prefer to phone to make reservations. Phone number can be found on the website.

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:23 PM
marge

Just came from Hoverspeed website. It seems to be in business. www.scferrybookings/hoverspeed/