Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Douro Valley Tour and Dining Alone Recommendations

Mar 29th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Question 1:
When I asked a question about my itinerary on a previous thread someone recommended that I spend some of my time in the Porto area doing a Douro Valley tour. Photos of the valley look gorgeous, but I had originally ruled out this area because most of the tours focus on wine tasting. I'm not a drinker, so while I love the scenery of wine country, spending a large portion of the day touring a winery and doing tastings doesn't appeal to me. Are there good tours of the valley that don't focus on wine tastings? I don't mind a tour of a winery, I just don't want that to be the main focus of the tour.

Question 2:
Last year I traveled solo in Spain and found dining to be fine but a bit awkward. Dining is so social in Spain that I wasn't always comfortable inserting myself into a busy tapas bar. I'd like to have a better dining experience in Portugal. Part of that is me just getting more comfortable with it, but I'd also love any restaurant recommendations. I don't like seafood and I don't drink, so I know that puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to Portuguese cuisine. I prefer small, cheap family-run restaurants with good food but I also LOVE beautifully decorated cafes and restaurants. I'm willing to splurge a little for great food (for me splurging is maybe a $50 meal, not hundreds of dollars). Any restaurant recommendations for Lisbon and Porto would be appreciated, especially from anyone who has traveled solo and found a place to be particularly friendly and non-awkward for solo diners.
Mar 29th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Also, I have a HUGE sweet tooth, so any recommendations for especially good bakeries or ice cream/gelato shops would be appreciated. I'll probably live on pasteis de nata while I'm in Portugal!