Search

Douro Valley lunch at a winery

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2019, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Douro Valley lunch at a winery

Greetings!

I'd like to do a Douro Valley tour from Porto with our group. Some of the most memorable experiences, that we've had during our past trips, were meals at private homes or wineries. For example, our first dinner in Andalusia was at a family run winery Bodega Garcia. I highly recommend it. "ronda bodega alojamiento casa rural vino enoturismo ruta". We enjoyed it tremendously. We've also had lunches and dinners at private homes in Armenia, Romania, and Georgia. Made for some of the best memories! For Japanese ladies, this is truly one of a kind experience.

I've been searching for something similar in Douro Valley. Got excited when I found a place featured in a TV program called "Food trippers". However, after emailing the winery, I was told that they have stopped doing these "family style meals". So far I am unable to find anything close to what I am looking for.

I would really appreciate if someone could share their experiences. Maybe someone has a great small family style winery that could welcome us for a homemade lunch?

Thank you!
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 10:15 AM

We also are looking to go to a winery and do a Duoro "cruise" as a day trip from Porto. Any recommendations? The guide that I have for Porto will take us if we want but I think it may be fun to do with a small group. On the other hand I do't want to be in a big group.
Old Feb 28th, 2019, 04:50 PM

We had a marvelous day in the Douro valley on an excursion from Porto provided by EFun tours. Was referred to them via a wine club. There were 8 total in he very comfortable van, an interesting mix of folks. This was the three vineyards and lunch tour. We ate at a place with a great culinary team as well as nice wines. Driver was terrific and perfectly fluent in English. Though we are usually averse to group tours, this was one we'd repeat.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Benmia and Seumus, yes, perhaps going with a small group would be actually fun. Enjoying the time with people who are interested in the same things. Seamus' suggested tour looks fun! Won't work for us as we need to have everything in Japanese, so we would not be joining a mixed group. I'll be either creating my own itinerary as I did in Georgia's wine region Kakheti (IF I can find that homemade meal that I am searching for!) or asking some company to do a private tour just for us as we did in Barcelona (CastleExperience which was a lot of fun!).