dorsoduro venice lodging on a budget

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Venice for the first 2 weeks of October. The first week I will be attending a course near the Capo San Vio, so I would like to stay in the Dorsoduro. Can anyone suggest a place for 1 person at around 50-60 euros per night? An apartment would do as well or better than a hotel.

I've done searches on the forum and have found that many of the most popular places were beyond what I would like to spend as they are often set up for 4 people or more.

Alternatively, am I being too restrictive in wanting to be in the Dorsoduro? Since I'll have to be at the course by 9:00 every morning (and I'm not a morning person), I wanted to make life as easy as possible by staying nearby.

I did find one suggestion of a b&b that looked promising (given the apparent lack of hotels or apartments). It wasn't La Calcina, but looked similar in name. Unfortunately my computer chose that moment to hiccup and I had to close my browser. Now I can't find that thread again. Does anyone have any idea what that place might have been?

Thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Try

www.alcampaniel.com

If you deal directly with Marco, the owner, he may give you a discount for a longer stay.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If a single room with a shared bathroom is OK, Pensione La Calcina is near that price. www.lacalcina.com
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 02:42 PM

For apartments (and I know they have some inexpensive ones in Dorsiduro & San Polo) contact www.veniceapartments.org and www.venicerentals.com.
If yu're going to be there for 2 weeks (lucky you) I'd certainly suggest an apartment - both for the extra space and so that you can have the option of preparing some of your meals.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise, that's the place. And a further question: How long would it *really* take to get to Campo San Vio (i.e., the Accademia) from San Toma, either walking or by vaporetto? All the accommodation sites seem to insist that nothing is further than 5 or 10 minutes away but, even though I understand that Venice is small, I have trouble believing that.

The first week I'll be at this course. I know some others who are going but they seem to want to stay in a convent, whereas I think renting (sharing) an apartment makes more sense. However, it's too expensive for one person.

The second week I'll be meeting a friend and we will find an apartment, I hope. I had a line on an apartment, but it is booked at the wrong times.

I've looked at the suggested web sites already, but I'll look again.

Thanks everyone.

Old Jun 7th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Accademia is the second vaporetto stop from San Toma, but I think it would be a terrible waste of money.

I am willing to swear on a stack of Bibles that you can get from San Toma to Accademia in less than 10 minutes -- maybe even less than 5 -- once you have figured out the route. The first or second time you go, it will probably take you a bit longer; the streets (calli) in Venice are not the straightforward ones we are used to.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM

As Eloise says it's 2 vaporetto stops from San Toma to Accademia and then about a 3 minute walk. Or if you're walking I'd say around 10 minutes max.

Regarding the apartment sites I suggested - Venice.org has a number of apartments not featured on their web-site. Venicerentals.com also have a large range (make sure you've got the correct web address as there are a number of very similiarly named companies). If you email them with your budget and where you want to stay they may be able to help.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM

I have stayed in the apartment at Al Campaniel and I would highly recommend it.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the timing hints. I have no problem with walking. Just wondering how accurate all these assertions are.

Unfortunately the apartment at Al Campaniel is booked, so still looking.

And I'm going cross-eyed with all these web addresses for accommodation sites where the names are subtly different. (As with venicerentals and venice-rentals.)

Thanks for your help.