Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Al Campaniel Guesthouse or Apartment in Venice

Dec 30th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

We are considering the Al Campaniel's apartment for our vacation to Venice in March. Has anyone stayed at this guesthouse or apartment recently?

It is very reasonably priced and is near the San Toma vaporetto stop in San Polo.

Thank you for your help. Laurie
Dec 31st, 2003, 03:47 AM

I stayed there in April, in a smallish - most hotel rooms in Venice are smallish - but nicely appointed double room. I don't know what the apartment is like. Marco is very pleasant and helpful and speaks excellent English. The location is very good, but it's in Dorsoduro, not San Polo. There is a traghetto just a few steps away that takes one over to the San Marco side of the Grand Canal very quickly and cheaply.
Dec 31st, 2003, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Eloise, Thank you for the information. I am sure this is the same apartment since I have been conversing with Marco by email.

It is very close to the Dorsoduro, but it's address is listed as San Polo. Did you find the guesthouse to be clean and in good repair?

Can you recommend any good restaurants or shops nearby? Were you able to find a grocery store or a laundermat?

Thank you very much for the information.
Laurie
Jan 1st, 2004, 06:24 AM

Hello, Laurie,

The guesthouse was very clean; my room and bathroom were well-maintained and immaculate. As I've already mentioned, I don't know the apartment.

There is a very pleasant and unpretentious restaurant just steps away on the Campo San Toma and many others in the area, ranging from modest to exorbitant. I was tempted by a print shop nearby, but I wouldn't be able to tell you where it is precisely. One of the joys of Venice is simply wandering around and getting lost, but it also makes finding a particular place again a bit difficult.

Since I was staying in a room, I ate in restaurants and unfortunately had no reason to look for grocery stores or laundromats.

I'm sorry I can't offer more specific replies to your questions.

Eloise
Jan 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advise, Eloise. The apartment is attached to the guesthouse so I would think that their standards for cleanliness would be the same. I appreciate the information! Laurie

Jan 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM

Hi

My husband and I stayed in one of Marco's double rooms in late May. He is a great innkeeper. We enjoyed the location very much. He told us about a terrific restaurant which I would recommend to you--Casin dei Nobili. We ordered the Chateaubriand Bernaise (I know, it doesn't sound too Italian, does it?...no matter, the presentation was totally Italian) for two, and it was absolutely delicious. Cost 52 euros for dinner including wine. The meat was sliced and rare and served with roasted veggies (eggplant, red bell pepper, zucchini) on gorgeous Italian pottery.

I found Al Campaniel through some online agency. Marco said next time be sure to make reservations directly with him for a discount. It was still very reasonable. We will stay there again.

Jan 1st, 2004, 04:36 PM

Is the Casin dei Nobili in or near the San Polo area? Directions?
Jan 1st, 2004, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Dog Mother! That is great information! We just booked the Al Campaniel's apartment for our 5 day stay in Venice in March. Marco gave us a great price!

Thanks for the restaurant tip, too! It sounds like a great place and very reasonably priced.

By the Way, I like your name. I am a dog mother too, to a 9 year old Golden Retriever.

Thanks again! Laurie
Jan 2nd, 2004, 04:40 AM

Hello, Laurie and Holly,

Laurie, I didn't mention Casin dei Nobili in my last post, because although Marco recommended it, it was so full when I tried to go there that I was unable to get in.

Holly, I've already gone wrong once on the border line between San Polo and Dorsoduro, but I'm almost positive that Casin dei Nobili is in Dorsoduro: it's on a tiny street near or off Campo San Barnaba. Once you get to Campo San Barnaba, I'm sure the Venetians will be able to direct you, which is more than I can do, given that I have almost no sense of direction and so find Venice even more confusing than most, although I have been there over ten times.

Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:33 AM

I am a dog mother of golden retriever mix dog--Ginger. Found her on www.petfinder.com.

I have digital pics of our meal, the restaurant, Marco, and our room at Al Campaniel. Would be glad to send to you if you send me your e-mail. (Being a good Dog Mother, I will be happy to send you a lovely picture of Ginger as well. Hee hee)

We were at the door of the restaurant when it opened--can't remember the time, but it did fill up FAST. I'll go back to my trip notes and see what I can find regarding its location and opening time.

Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:41 AM

Here is what I lifted from the www.slowtrav.com site about the restaurant:

Casin dei Nobili, Dorsoduro 2765 041-241-1841 Nonsmoking room closed Monday

Walk straight back from the Ca' Rezzonico vaporetto stop; in Campo San Barnaba turn left and go through arches. Restaurant is on your right just before bridge.

Funky appealing decor; lots of art work on walls; comparatively small handwritten menu; reasonable prices food ranges from good to extremely good. Separate pizza menu is available some if not all the time. After our first visit in spring 2002, they told us that they are no longer taking reservations; you just have to show up and try to get in. It was for this reason that we did not go back.

Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Hello Dogmother, thank you for the information. I would love to see pictures of your room, Marco, and the restaurant.

Please send a photo of Ginger, too! Golden Retrievers are the nicest breed. My dog "Hannah" is probably the sweetest dog I have ever had.

Please send to email address: [email protected]

Thank you very much! Laurie
Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:23 AM

Could someone tell me how to get in touch with the Al Campaniel apartments?
Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

This is the Web site:

http://alcampaniel.tripod.com/venezia/

There is only one apartment; the other accommodations are all rooms.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 01:05 PM

Thanks you.
Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:44 PM

Laurie, since you are going in March, I don't think you will need reservations if you want to eat at Casin dei Nobili. You will like it - great food, something for everyone, and the price is right.

Shannon
Jan 3rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shannon. We will give this restaurant a try! It sounds great! Laurie

I really appreciate the step by step directions that you have given for this restaurant and others in your book. Specific restaurants can be very difficult to find in Venice.

Thanks again! Laurie
Jan 4th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Dogmother, Thank you for sending me the pictures. The room at Al Campaniel looks very nice.Marco doesn't look anything like the picture I had in my mind.

Ginger sure is cute! Her coloring is the same as my golden retriever but she is a bit smaller and her ears stand up! She looks like a very intelligent dog!

The food at the restaurant looks great! I can't wait to try it! Thanks again for sending the pictures. Laurie
Jan 4th, 2004, 04:01 PM

You are so welcome, Laurie.

Ginger came from a rescue organization--they think she is Golden Retriever and Border Collie. She is a dear--great size--sweet and smart.

Wish I could meet you for dinner at Casin dei Nobili this March! Have a great time.

Jan 4th, 2004, 06:39 PM

I'll second the recommendation for Casin dei Nobelei...I went on Ruth's (Shannon's co-author) recommendation last year, primarily for the no-smoking room, and we loved it!The food and atmosphere were both great, and the price was very reasonable (about $30 for two meals with salads, no alcohol; actually, we could have chosen from many other entrees for much less). The party next to us was obviously some sort of family celebration, with several generations passing the babies back and forth along with the dishes and wine! It was a great evening...I'm looking forward to going back in September.

Anne

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO