Dordogne Accomodations

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 10:51 AM
MGB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dordogne Accomodations

Anyone have a particularly great place to recommend for the Beynac/Sarlat/La Roque Gageac area. Currently we are considering La Belle Etoile in La Rogue. Generally we like quaint, reasonably priced places. We do need 2 double rooms.
Thanks for any help. Regards, Mary Ann
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Look at this website: www.griffons.fr

We hit this place in the tiny town of Bourdeilles almost by accident 5 years ago when the lovely Parisian couple had just bought the place and were running it. It was a highlight of our trip. The pictures are worth a thousand words, but the hospitality cannot be described adequately.
We spent one great day canoing from Brantome down the tiny stream to arrive back at our hotel -- Les Griffons in the late afternoon.

At dinner that night, Bernard, our host, said he thought (after our incredible meal and a superb '90 Pomerol) that we needed cognac. He asked if we wanted a very good cognac or a wonderful cognac. Fearing what "wonderful" would cost, we asked for the very good, but he insisted we needed the "wonderful". It ended up being about $7 a glass, what an incredible bargain as was everything at that wonderful spot.

I'm not sure this would be a great base for the whole Dordogne, we also stayed in Sarlat, Rocamador, and Cordes. But a night or two at Les Griffons would be wonderful. They don't get any "quainter".
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 11:49 AM

MGB: La Belle Etoile is an excellent choice for that area, BUT if you're going in July or August I wouldn't stay in either Beynac or La Roque-Gageac. In both towns, the only road is an incredibly narrow riverside road that gets unbelievably clogged with buses and cars all day long. You'll lose precious touring time just getting in and out of town.
Other places to consider are the Moulin de la Beune in Les Eyzies (which also gets crowded, but the moulin is at the far end of town on the road out toward Sarlat), La Table du Terroir (yes, it's an inn as well as a fabulous restaurant) in La Chapelle-Aubareil, near Montignac; Hostellerie la Roseraie in Montignac; or le Moulin Neuf in Paunat.
But if you're not going to be there in high season, you'll be very happy at La Belle Etoile (the restaurant is excellent!).
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 05:57 PM
MGB
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We are going in mid Sept so hopefully it will not be as crowded. We will check out the web site you mentioned Patrick. However, we have only 3 nights and I am not sure if the place you mentioned is convenient to the caves, etc. in the Sarlat/Beynac region. Thanks again.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:55 PM

MGB:

Patrick's suggestion, though probably an excellent one, would definitely not be useful for visiting the Périgord Noir area on a 3-day sojourn. Save it for your next trip to the Dordogne, which I hope will be soon.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 07:07 PM

I agree. I incorrectly assumed from your first post that you would be spending some time in Dordogne, not just 3 days.