Cell phones for Europe and UK

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell phones for Europe and UK

I am taking a group of high school students to London and Paris at the end of the month and was thinking of trying to get a cell phone that I could use while there. In the past we have had kids get separated or ill and I would like the peace of mind that they could find me no matter what.<BR><BR>Is there a way to buy a prepaid cell for use there in the States or would I need to order one online? I am comfortable paying $100, but I have no idea if this is possible. <BR><BR>Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 09:21 AM
rex

Buy it there. There are tons of choices in pre-paid phones; no contract - - you buy the time &quot;up front&quot; on a card or chip, and just re-purchase when you need more minutes.<BR><BR>I think you will be very pleased at what 70-90 euro will buy you. Typically incoming calls are free, and the first 25 euro will likely be included in the purchase price. You might never use all that up.<BR><BR>And then come back here and &quot;sell it forward&quot;. I have done that, and I recommend it enthusiastically.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex Bickers<BR>Westerville, Ohio <BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM

A cheaper and better alternative than a cellphone is a European walkie-talkie. Don't bring over US family radio sets as they operate on a different, illegal frequency. I have seen them on sale at virtually every airport electronic/camera shop and most high street outlets in France and UK. They start from around $50 a pair, and you can get better quality ones with 4 handsets for around $150. In town the useable range is about half a mile, and up to 2 miles in open air.<BR>A pair of pay-as-you-go cellphones will cost more, and the ones you buy in London may not be useable in Paris, and vice versa.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Here's another option. I just replaced my old Motorola Startac with a Siemens S46. It is what they call a multiband, next generation, world phone, meaning it can operate on TDMA, GSM or GPRS networks. i.e. I can use it at home, or overseas. Calls from France to the U.S. cost $1.29 a minute with my provider ATT Wireless. Not sure what the rate is from the U.K.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 08:06 PM

If you do buy a pay as you go mobile, incoming calls will only be free when you are in the country that it was purchased.<BR><BR>For example, if you buy the phone in London, if people wish to contact you while you are in Paris, they will have to dial a UK number and you pick up the bill from the UK to France.<BR>