Doolin... worth going?

Search

Doolin... worth going?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doolin... worth going?

I'm heading out on a trip to Ireland next week and had planned to spend two nights in Doolin relaxing in amid everything else. I planned on walking out to see the ocean and listening to music and not too much else. I'm not looking for any huge attractions, just a nice place to stay and relax. The last few threads I've read have seemed to indicate that it's kind of a bummer of a place, though. My itinerary isn't set, so I can still change things around. Should I go?
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:13 AM

greenlady - I am questioning my itinerary also based on a couple of recent threads. We had planned 2 nights in Doolin for March 2010 as basically a resting place to see the Cliffs and Burren before we head back to Dublin. We will actually be there for St. Patrick's Day so I thought it would be cool to be somewhere known for traditional Irish music (and a smaller town because we don't want to be near any wild celebrations). We have a reservation at the Atlantic View B&B which says the Cliffs of Moher are within walking distance - seems like a neat place. I hope your question gets some feedback/suggestions.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM

From one Green to another

Doolin isn't a BAD place, it's just a bit hyped up in my view. It's a perfectly pleasant little village, a little touristy, with about 4-5 pubs that have live music every night. Therefore, those pubs are usually very crowded. I didn't stay overnight there, but we stayed in Ennis, which is a larger city with lots more to do. If all you're doing is relaxing, it will be fine... just get seats in the pubs early!

It is a great place to climb on the rocks and look out at the ocean. It is also very convenient for one of the ferrys to the Aran Islands, or exploring the Burren.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 02:50 PM

If those are your plans I think Doolin is a good place to stay. We have stayed in Doolin to play golf at Lahinch. It was pleasant.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM

We liked Doolin because it WAS laid back and quiet, except in the evenings in the pubs when the trad music starts. We primarily went for the pub-music scene. It makes a great place to stay, and then branch out for great day trips to the cliffs, burren, perfume factory, beaches, golf etc. Then back for a great pub meal, and like mentioned in a previous post, get your seats early for the music. We were fortunate to get a B&B within easy walking distance to the pubs.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM

I was the person who said I could have skipped Doolin - it wasn't terrible - I was disappointed in the music but it could have been the night we were there. It is very convenient to the Cliffs of Moher - you should definitely take the boat ride to see them. And the ocean views with crashing waves off the pier are wonderful. We loved Ireland - compared to other places Doolin was just not quite as spectacular
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:18 AM

I've been going to Doolin for years, it has changed since I first starting going 20 plus years ago, but it is still a great place to go walking, you can walk to the cliffs of moher, down to the pier to watch the sea, walk to Doonagore castle, cycle in the Burren or to the beach at Fanore. There are wonderful spots to just sit and watch the world go by, animals, sea and sky.

The music varies, sometimes it's great, other nights not so much but that is the luck of the draw I guess. Although there aren't many places in Ireland where you will consistently find music so you might end up staying some place with no music at all. I'd go, but then I'm always ready to go to Doolin.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 04:36 AM

We stayed at emohruo B & B. Wonderful hosts. It is a bit far for walking. You will need a car. Used it as a base and went out and about and then back for Trad Music in the evenings. Had a great time. Get to the Pub early for a good seat.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the advice. I am really just looking for a place to relax, so I think it will work for me.
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
cd

We liked Doolin because of the close proximity to the Cliffs and the Burren. We ate at O'Connors pub and stayed for the music which didn't start that night until 9:30pm. We enjoyed the peat fires at the pub while having drinks and dinner : http://www.gusoconnorsdoolin.com/