Ireland itinerary

Old Aug 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland itinerary

Ok, I am going to be specific so I don't cause any problems! First of all let me apologize because my last post was about London but since then my husband decided he wants to see Ireland (and golf at least once). We are flying into Shannon on Sept. 23 and out of Dublin Oct. 1. It is a self-driving tour with a suggested itinerary. We are spending the first two nights in Galway, then they suggest two nights in Killarney, one in Kinsale, and two in Dublin. My question is should we stay in Killarney or opt for Kenmare or may be Dingle? We like to stay in towns and walk to pubs and are big music fans. I really don't have any must see things. Any advise will be much appreciated. Also, I'm thinking of staying near the airport in Dublin and just taking the bus into town. Everyone says driving in Dublin is a pain. I just hope we are used to driving by the end of our tour so the motorway won't be a problem!
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Since I haven't had any replies yet maybe I should clarify. Some of the guide books say Killarney is very touristy and Kenmare is very pretty. Just wondered what people who have been there think. I realize Dingle isn't close by but I though maybe we should go there instead. Also, I read that Doolin is great for music, but I don't see how we could be there in the evening. Wouldn't want to get caught drunk driving on the way back to Galway. I don't know what the alcohol limit is in Ireland.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM

I would choose either Kenmare or Dingle, not Killarney. There seemed to be more to Kenmare and it wasn't as tourist trap-py, at least based on my impression. Which of those you'd prefer depends on whether you'd rather see Slea Head, Inch beach, Great Blaskets *or* the Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park, Beara Peninsula. You could go to Dingle as a day trip from Kenmare (or vice versa), but it would be a long day.

Regardless of what the legal alcohol limit is, I think everyone would appreciate you not driving on unfamiliar Irish roads at night when you've had more than a little bit to drink. I have also heard Doolin is great for music, but I enjoyed Murphy's in Dingle and Cruise's in Ennis. I believe you can find trad music in many towns, not just Doolin (including Galway), so I wouldn't worry too much about getting to Doolin only for that.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM

I would suggest staying in Kenmare. It is a nice size town everything is walkable and there are nice drives around it including Killarney. Dingle is nice but too far to drive for just a visit and I dont think would match your itinerary.
Also Doolin is a long drive on your itinerary, and you will find traditional music just as good and maybe less touristy in pubs in Galway, Kenmare, Kinsale or Dublin, if you ask around.
In Dublin, it would be adivsable to find a hotel or bed and breakfast close to the airport but also close to town, so you can drive, park and get the bus into town.
Best places would be Drumcondra or Clontarf area. They are on the way to the airport but close to the city and have very good frequent bus services to the city. Places like Swords, Malahide, Kinsealy, are closer to the airport but a bit far for getting the bus to town.If you check out www.goireland.com for bed and breakfast accommodation.
If you prefer hotels look at places like: Clontarf Castle, or Skylon Hotel.
If you still havent found traditional Irish music by the time you get to Dublin - check out pubs like The Merchant or Brazen Head, Bridgefoot Street; The Cobblestone, Smithfield; or O'Neills, Capel Street.
If you have any other specific questions get back - I live in Dublin.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Padhraicin, the package I booked has vouchers for a limited number of B&B's. The one I had picked out was Greenlands B&B near Lusk, but I checked and Springvale B&B is available in Clontarf, none in Drumcondra. Do you think Clontarf is the better choice?

Jent103, thanks for the info on Dingle. Right now my husband is leaning towards Dingle and I'm going for Kenmare. I will keep reading.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM

If it helps, I loved Dingle, but if I had to choose one for a first trip where I had to pick one, I'd probably choose Kenmare. In Kenmare you can see coastline on the Beara (which I haven't seen yet, but would love to), the Ring of Kerry, and you can also explore the park (we did the Gap of Dunloe tour and I really enjoyed it; there's also at least one waterfall and some other things). Plus there's Muckross House and Ross Castle if you're interested in those.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 07:09 AM

I would also not go with Killarney. It is close to the national park which is beautiful...but the town itself is REALLY touristy. It was pretty much just full of tour buses when I was there in June. I didn't make it to Kenmare, but I heard good things about it from other travellers I met.

Dingle was my favorite place in Ireland (I was there 7 weeks) and I can't say enough good things about it. I don't think coming from Galway it would be that much farther than going to Killarney? Someone could correct me but I'm pretty sure you would go through Tralee to get to both. Of course I was taking the bus so maybe it would be different.

Galway to Doolin would be a bit of a drive just to go for music and back. I personally didn't find Doolin all that great. There is literally only 3 pubs and not much else in the town, and the music didn't seem any better than music I had seen other places in Ireland.

Also I loved Kinsale just as a side note. Very beautiful town! Make sure to check out Charles Fort.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM

I dont know the Springvale but I know the Clontarf area.
There is a nice historic hotel (Clontarf Castle) very close to Kincora Drive - it does nice bar food at lunctime and evenings.
The 130 bus is one of the most frequent and best bus services in Dublin. It brings you right into the city centre just off O'Connell Street and takes about 15 minutes.
Lusk is very far out. You would either have to get a train or a bus and the bus service would not be as frequent and might take 45 minutes or so. It would not be very costly to get a taxi back from town to Clontarf whereas Lusk would be much more expensive as it is further out.
Taxi or drive from Clontarf to the Airport is about 20 minutes.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM

I would also recommend City Tour www.dublinbus.ie for the hop-on hop-off tour of Dublin.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Just came back from a weekend in Kinsale. Great place. Had a fantastic meal at Jim Edwards and some really good fish & chips from Dino's.

I second tayjamaries Charles fort recommendation