Doolin Accommodation Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.k., I've given up. My elderly in-laws are determined to spend a few days in Doolin, despite the difficulty traveling to and from either Shannon Airport or Galway, depending on the order they do things in. They wil have no car.

Does anyone have a great recommendation of a central B&B, close to pubs and restaurants, or any other tips that would make their stay easier?

Thank you!
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 06:30 PM

I won't recommend the B&B where we stayed in Doolin last month since I had some problems with it, but when I did my research, I found lots of B&Bs that were within walking distance of the various pubs.

However, having spent less than 24 hours in Doolin, I wonder what your in-laws plan to do for "a few days" if they don't have a car. There's really not much to see and do in Doolin itself. I guess they could take the ferry to the Aran Islands, but anything other than that will require transportation by bus and I don't know how many buses service Doolin daily.
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM

The CLiffs of Mohr are easily accessible by boat from Doolin, but even to get to the harbor is a long walk. I am sure they could find a taxi. Maybe they could consider hiring a driver to get between the towns.
There are MANY b&b's in Doolin. THere should be no problem finding one.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I located some good ones on Trip Adviser, but I have no sense which ones are near good pubs, etc. I was advised by a Band B owner that taxis are slow and hard to come by.

Longhorn, I have the same questions, lol! However, I think relaxation is key to them. They enjoy just chatting with people and good music.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 05:51 AM
sj

SeaView is a wonderful B&B right in the center of town with lovely owners. Stayed there last year.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 06:05 AM

I can recommend Roadford House.

It is super close to two of the three major pubs, No issue walking. And, as an added bonus, since they will be without a car, they can have dinner there as well, just walk downstairs from their room- the owner/husband is a chef - it was quite good.

See tripadvisor reviews for additional reviews- I posted a review of my stay there. While the rooms are basic, the food was very good, and the owner/wife lovely.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much!!!
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Seaview is booked ):, will try Roadford, but it doesn't sound as though they have groundfloor rooms... wow, Doolin books up early!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

davispeets, I just heard from Roadford, and they have availability. ya-hoo! Do you recall the layout? Does the stairs have railings? Ensuite baths? Thanks for the recommenation!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:10 AM

Oh good! It is sooooo close to McDermatt's- I doubt there was a closer B&B to that pub.

I'm pretty sure the stairs had railings - my room was approached from an outside set of stairs. But to refresh my memory, I looked through the user posted pictures on TA upper right hand side-- 54 pictures- and saw a July 2009 photo (Photo #38) which shows the stairs are enclosed on the sides and so there would be something to hold onto on both sides of the stairs.

The room did have an ensuite bath with a shower - you can see my pictures that I posted to my Sept. 09 review - small pic of sink and shower.

If she gave you the option of dinner I hope you booked it for your in-laws. I was on the fence about it at the time I booked. Roadhouse was my second choice too - the top TA rated B&B for Doolin was booked - but in the end it worked out perfectly.
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:27 AM

Bus Timetables for Doolin. From Shannon they would have to change in Ennis.
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1281351875-50.pdf
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1279723383-337.pdf
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 01:35 PM

i would try to book them into to Cullinans guesthouse. its centrally located, walking distance to the pubs for music and the rest of the town. they also have an excellent restaurant.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys ever so much. We have decided to wait on Doolin until we can accompany them and rent a car, as they are getting too stressed about transportation. You have, however, made us extremely interested in visiting ourselves, so thank you for the terrific information!