Reload this Page >

DON'T FORGET THE BULKHEAD!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 12:53 PM
lynn

Greetings - <BR> <BR>In response to the "sardine seating" thread, I wanted to make a mention about the bulkhead seating. <BR> <BR>When we go overseas, we always request the bulkhead (or exit, but I prefer the bulkhead). On our last 2 trips, they confirmed our bulkhead seating when we purchased the tickets. It was great. Usually, don't assign the exit row until they can see you. Sometimes, they won't assign the bulkhead either until you show up before the flight. In those cases, we just show up extra early and make sure we are some of the first people through the check-in. We almost always get what we want. <BR> <BR>It makes a big difference. There are at least 5"-6" extra inches. Also, with a wall in front of you, you can prop your feet up. Well, if you're short like me (5'5"). It really helps support my back. My husband (5'11") can't put his feet up but he can cross his ankles. Combine this with reclining your seat back and you can do O.K. on a long flight. We're usually pretty comfortable considering the situation. <BR> <BR>Stongly recommend trying to get bulkhead seats on all your future flights. They make a big difference! <BR> <BR <BR>

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 01:52 PM
Nicky

You are right about the bulkhead seating. US Airways won't let me confirm those seats until I show up at the airport on the day of departure. (I plan to arrive very, very early.) I was a US flight and the seats in the exit row did not recline. Yuck! More legroom, but a stiff back! Is the bulkhead the first row after 1st class?

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 06:20 PM
Elliott

This may work fine until they sit someone with an infant next to you - these seats are normally given to those with babies on flights where folks are traveling with infants.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 03:21 AM
Jaime Torres George

<BR>Definitly , I agree with you. There's no <BR>painfull thing like be seated in those tiny small chairs in coach section

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 04:07 AM
Mary Ann

Northwest will not let you reserve bulkhead seats. They say they reserve them for their frequent flyers, the ones that regularly pay for their tickets (as opposed to those flying on frequent flyers). Also be careful, many seats in front of the bulkhead do not recline. Limited space is made worse without the advantage of reclining.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 05:28 AM
xxxxx

Nicky brings up a good point, namely that normally exit row seats do not recline. I like to sit in the row behind the exit, where I can recline but no one can lean back all over me.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 05:41 AM
Mary

<BR>When we recently tried to reserve the bulkhead seats for a trip to Europe on Continental we were told that even though they reserved them for us, they would have to be given up at the last minute if anyone else boarded the plane who had an injury or any difficulty which meant they still had first preference on those seats. In that event, we would have to take any other available seats in coach which could be in the middle or someplace we hate to sit or possibly be even separated. We instead opted to select other more preferable seats together at this time. Those choice bulkhead seats are always a "question mark" on most planes until the very last minute.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 10:00 AM
Darlene

Bulkhead's a good deal IF you don't need a window (the seats sometimes are situated in front of the last coach window), IF you don't mind having a baby next to you, IF you don't get claustrophobic with a wall in your face. <BR> <BR>It's also routinely reserved not only for privilege-status latecomers but for airline employees dead-heading somewhere -- this is not supposed to be the case (they are supposed to wait until everyone else gets seated), but gate agents and flight attendants have friends. I've had this happen twice, when I requested the bulkhead and was turned down -- even though I arrived TWO hours early (first to check in) -- only to find the seats given to a high-mileage late-comer and three employees on passes.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 10:23 AM
prefer

My daughter has a knee that is permanently incapable of bending, due to severe scar tissue formation following surgery for bone cancer. <BR> <BR>Sometimes the bulkhead is the only options available for her to be able to sit anywhere on the plane. And it's not terrific; far better for her to just sit next to an empty seat and put her leg up on the empty seat. <BR> <BR>Airlines simply don't know how to make a plan for her to get a seat she can sit in, in advance. And we have seen passengers refuse to relinquish a bulkhead seat. To say nothing of the nasty looks given by those who have offered their seats reluctantly at times. <BR> <BR>Bulkhead seats are far from a godsend for SOME big people. They do not have an armrest that goes up, so they are less desirable than a regular seat for her. And they are borderline painful for anyone with a big ass.

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 11:48 AM
Mary

Check the individual airplanes. We recently flew to Nice on a Delta 767 and my 6'4" brother requested and received the bulkhead. Big mistake. His seat did not recline (as the emergency seats were behind him) and there was zero leg room!!

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 12:10 PM
Buddy

Dont rely on the airlines webpage seating charts either! After reading this thread, I called Delta airlines to get a seating assignment on a flight to Madrid in early spring on a 767-300. The Delta rep assinged my seats as row 23A and B. According to their seating chart on their website, I am sitting in the lavatory!

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 10:10 PM
lynn

Greetings once more... <BR> <BR>I suppose we've been pretty lucky because we've never had a baby problem in the bulkhead seats. They always tell us they save them for moms and kids but then we usually end up with our request and no moms or kids in sight. <BR> <BR>And the wall doesn't matter much to us because we try to sleep at least half way. Besides, it is much farther away from my face than the back of the chair when I'm in the regular seats! <BR> <BR>Perhaps it depends on the airlines. We've flown Citybird and USAir each once overseas but usually fly United. That's where we usually end up racking up the miles. <BR> <BR>In regards to the baby thing, make sure you have good earplugs. Mine work pretty well so I don't really worry about it. I'd much rather have that "prop up my feet" space than worry about a baby next to me. Once I eat and take a big sip of Nyquil, I'm out for a good 4 or 5 hours. <BR> <BR>Happy Holidays and Happy New Year... <BR> <BR

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 05:16 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Buddy, I bet you're on a B767-300ER, which has a row 23 according to Delta's web site. But hopefully I'm wrong, as you'll no doubt have better leg room in the lavatory.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 05:39 AM
none

Bulkhead seats can be horrible for some folks who do not fit the "fit and trim" catagory. Not only do the arms not go up, they contain the tray and do not extend far enough forward to comfortably go in front of some of us. Also, because it houses that tray, it's even tighter in the nether regions than normal tight fitting airline seats. So, if you're one of those skinny flyers, you can be assured that none of us larger folks will ooze over onto your space if you sit in the bulkhead seat! Enjoy your space.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 08:10 AM
Jurgen

If bulkhead seats are too small for those with large rears, then that just about writes them off as an option for any Americans.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 08:32 AM
Mary

Merry Christmas, Jurgen! Thanks for sharing that good will!

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 09:21 AM
lynn

.... <BR> <BR>Right you are Jurgen. Many of we Americans could really use a diet. <BR> <BR>As for me, I'm not spilling over but I'm not a size 6 either! It's actually very interesting, this size issue. The last 2 trips we've done have been to Asia and let me tell you, there is a big difference in the average anglo-saxon/European size and the average Asian size. Even though you see it at home (home for me is So. Cal. USA), you don't really notice it as much as when you are head and shoulders above everyone around you. And I'm only 5'5"!! <BR> <BR>In any case, I guess I've gotten a bit off my own topic. I'll quit while I'm behind! <BR> <BR>Everyone have a great holiday. I'm getting excited planning for our spring trip to Eastern Europe. January 1st the countdown begins... <BR> <BR

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 09:23 AM
elvira

I have ASKED for a seat in the lavatory, and been refused; thanks to Buddy, I know what seat to ask for... <BR>and since Americans don't fit in bulkhead seats, we probably ought to just stay home; at least we wouldn't be beaten by Germans or assaulted by Christmas-shopping polar bears.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 06:29 AM
gblma

As a mother of a disabled child we used to always request the bulkhead seats. The last time was on Virgin Atlantic. I did not notice it and I confirmed this with the flight attendants.The seats are smaller (width wise) than the rest and also the arm dividers don't go up so you miss the space there. The plane was a 747 if that matters.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 02:38 PM
Glenn

I do not find bulkhead seats anybetter than any other row. I am sure that being 6'4" does not help. We just got back from Germany and had the bulkhead both ways since we had a baby with us. We took a Airbus over to Germany, which was pretty good. A fair amount of room. We had a 747 on the way back. It was horrible, the seat arms did not move as stated in other messages due to the trays. The problem was that the seats were so narrow that I barely fit into the seat. I am not overweight either. The problem I see is no place to put you legs, there is not another seat ahead of you to put your feet under. Then you either have to look staight up or at a tiny monitor to watch a movie. There are certain seats on the airbus 300 that I have asked for in coach. I want to say row 19 (?)on the sides of the plane. Two reclining seats in fron of an exit DOOR (not a row). These are the best seats in coach.