Donkeys on Crete

Search

Donkeys on Crete

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Donkeys on Crete

My husband and I are going back to Greece - this time we're spending our time in Crete. Does anyone know where you can get someone to take you out on a donkey?

Our hotel mentioned someone near Iraklion, but I have had no luck finding any information.

When we were in Santorini and staying in Thira, we paid one of the men with donkeys that they use on the caldera for cruise ship passesngers, to take us south. He took us to where he lived and kept his donkeys. While we were there, they were watered and rested.

How much do they charge these days for about 2-3 hours? How much do they charge in Santorini to get up the caldera? I could try to use that as a guide.

Any information will be appreciated.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM

No idea; but they will give you a lift up to the birthplace of Zeus on Lassithi plateau.
Old May 20th, 2011, 09:37 PM

We have a donkey sanctuary in Crete
http://www.walkwithdonkeys.com

We would really urge you not to ride the donkeys unless you are small adults. The donkeys get abused and should not be ridden by larger adults. If you want to come and spend time with donkeys you are very welcome to visit us for a day. You can also take a donkey for a walk (not a ride) We do however offer small children rides on one of our younger donkeys.

You can contact us by e mail
[email protected]
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:59 PM

congrats Walkwithdonkeys !!!!!
i always get mad at these fat tourists that prefer to go up the caldera sitting on a donkey.......
They don't see that this is a torture for the poor donkeys?
It's understandable that donkeys were used in order to transport goods and people 100 years ago, when Santorini ( or Crete) had no roads....... but in 2011 this kind of touristic attraction should be forbidden !!!!!
Just my 2 cents....
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM

I am also very interested to read walkwithdonkeys post. I was very disheartened by the the donkeys on Rhodes and Santorini carrying heavy tourists up what could easily be a pleasant walk. Plus while walking the winding track down to the harbor in Fira, we had to constantly sidestep over all the donkey dung. There seems to be more humane ways to capture the tourists' euros.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:47 PM

They are not donkeys that take tourists up/down to/from the harbour in Fira, they are mules. Same in Oia down to Amoudi. Mules are well known for their strength and stamina but there is a limit to the weight they can carry and given the size of some tourists, it should not be allowed.

>>It's understandable that donkeys were used in order to transport goods and people 100 years ago, when Santorini ( or Crete) had no roads<< Donkeys have been used in villages much more recently than 100 years ago by the older generations, even though there are roads and were a frequent sight as recently as 10-15 years ago. Some fields eg vineyards or almond or olive groves are only accessible via mule tracks.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM

You cannot mistake a donkey for a mule. Mules are much larger animals - the size of a horse, not a donkey - and perfectly capable of carrying an adult - unless the person is grossly overweight.

And no - adults should not be riding donkeys, any more than they should ponys - the animals are just too small. While they can certainly carry some sort of load to market (perhaps 40 or 50 pounds) there is no way they can safely carry a full size adult.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM

Sorry -

A 400 pound donkey carrying a 200 pound person wold be like a 150 pound woman carrying 75 pounds on her back for hours - sheer torture. And a very large person is ridiculous.

Mules - like horses - weigh in the region of a thousand pounds or more and are able to carry a normal size adult - although again, not one who is very obese. And in any case - they shouldn't be doing this all day - or even for more than a couple of hours without a rest.
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:06 PM

regardless, just walk!!!!!!!! and go to Amorgos and take pictues of donkeys doing their daily routine which has nothing to do with tourists.