Search

Dolomites in November

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2024, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolomites in November

Hi folks!

Hoping to get some advice -- I am flying to Trento for work in November, and I'd love to make a trip out of it. I've always wanted to go see the Dolomites (and I love rock climbing!) but I'm a bit worried about it being too cold or dark in November to make the trip worthwhile. I'd kind of a wuss and am used to 11-15degrees C weather (in the 50s F).

I'd love to get an idea if this it's reasonable to visit the region and do some light hiking in the Dolomites during the first couple weeks of November, or is that just insane. I saw some other posts saying it was a terrible time and to pick a different time... but I can't since it's a work trip and it seems silly not to make the most of out the visit.

Any tips on how to optimize for the weather and how to best see the area in November.

Thanks all!
Old May 25th, 2024, 12:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Well....

We spent 10 days in the Dolomites in December last year - exploring and hiking - and we had a great time. But December isn't November

Insane? I prefer to travel in the low season, but do be aware November is very much in-between seasons, and you will no doubt run into many closures, including hotels and restaurants, not to mention possible public transport issues.

We've booked a trip to the Dolomites this year in very late Sept/October. Many people told me it was a bad idea, but I'm not convinced. Here's what I've found regarding cable car schedules:

Cable car closures for 2024 by area:

Cortina – 10/22

Alta Badia – 10/6

Val Gardena – 11/3

3 Zinnen – 11/3

So...cable cars won't be possible past Nov 3.

If you're still interested, I'd start by contacting the various tourist offices and asking if any hotels and restaurants are open, as well as grocery stores, etc. If they say no, you've got your answer.

I'd probably look in the 3 Zinnen area as it stays open later than the others. If you can find something open, and can get there, and know you can find food, go for it.

Yes, it will probably be cold and definitely dark; not ideal for someone who dislikes cold weather, but that's what warm clothing is for. What you can reasonably accomplish based on weather and what may or may not be open is the great unknown.

Last edited by Melnq8; May 25th, 2024 at 12:14 PM.
Old May 25th, 2024, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply @Melnq8. Appreciate your thoughts... This is silly maybe but were you teasing when you said "November isn't December" (like was I being too precise in not just saying "winter") or are you saying that December is substantially different in some way I'm not understanding. Apologies if this is a silly question -- I just felt like you might have been trying to communicate something I really missed here.

Thanks again!
Old May 25th, 2024, 01:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
What I meant was ski areas are open in December, so it's much more lively than I'd expect November to be.

Here are some projected opening dates for ski areas in December...if the ski area is open, the cable cars are running and more hotels/restaurants will be open.

https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/dolomiti...ected-openings

Last edited by Melnq8; May 25th, 2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old May 25th, 2024, 06:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Some websites say cars must have snow tires or chains starting Nov. 15th. Even if your stay would end around the 15th, I'd take that requirement as a warning that many roads could be snow-covered and/or weather could make driving inadvisable... I would think this would mean particularly the area immediately west Cortina which would make a good part of the region inaccessible from where you'd be coming. You might want to investigate further which roads/areas are most susceptible. I wouldn't be hiking alone anywhere in the Dolomites in November. Sunset will be before 5:00 p.m.

You could head to Bolzano for a couple of nights to see the Ice Man exhibits at the archeology museum, take the cable car from Bolzano into the mountains and explore the plateau area at the top. Finding hotels deeper into the mountains that are open those weeks may be difficult, but if you're able to confirm something in perhaps Ortisei you could spend the remaining nights there and make whatever excursions seem reasonable and safe based on the weather.

Where are you flying into and out of? Where would you be picking up the rented car? If weather or lack of lodging puts the kabosh on mountain plans, there are things to see in Bolzano (as mentioned), farther north in Bressanone (very attractive town, close to Val di Funes) and Rovereto (art and WWI museums). If you're flying in/out of Verona, you could spend a night or two there.
Old May 26th, 2024, 12:42 AM

Don^t worry! If you live at TRENTO; The Dolomiti di Trento are just around the edge.https://www.trentino.com/en/top-seas...-holidays.html
Many locals spend their weekends in the mountains all the year round. https://www.trentino.com/en/service/...ate-in-autumn/
Most hiking trails start in villages of easy reach by bus. People live there all the year round. Therefore you will find there open shops and restaurants too.
Snow below 2000 metres is usually not an issue in November, but shady legs of mountain paths can get icy (frozen rain or mountain creek water).
Therefore it might be a good idea to buy spikes (available in any sports or shoe shop of the area) that you can put on your hiking boots.
Many touristy things (big hotels, bars, discoes and restaurants living from tourists only, gondolas, souvenir shops, etc.) will be closed. But that will not affect your hiking possiblilities.
Old May 26th, 2024, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Adalya
Thanks for the quick reply @Melnq8. Appreciate your thoughts... This is silly maybe but were you teasing when you said "November isn't December" (like was I being too precise in not just saying "winter") or are you saying that December is substantially different in some way I'm not understanding. Apologies if this is a silly question -- I just felt like you might have been trying to communicate something I really missed here.

Thanks again!
Ski season will have started in December. It usually starts in late November, actually.

Regarding temperatures, if it's as warm as 10-15 C°, the ski operators will be weeping.