Dolomites in Late May

Search

Dolomites in Late May

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolomites in Late May

Just started researching. Is this to early to go to the Dolomites for simple walks, the Dolomite drive, ski lift/gondolas, etc. I am asking about openings/closures, weather or anything else that would have an effect on a late May/beginning June visit for 3 or 4 days. Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 08:31 AM

You can see the life schedule here

http://www.valgardena.it/en/hiking-b...rekking/lifts/

Remember Europeans have day then month so 30.05 is 30 May.

Late May is early and there are only a select few lifts open so it depends where you want to go.

Hope this helps!
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 08:32 AM

That is for Val Gardena, I am sure if you google other areas you will find lift schedules for those areas.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 09:35 AM

Forget skilifts in May! The Dolomites cover 3 Italian provinces and a bit of Austria. Late may is certainly not too early for the main valleys, the wineyards, the waterchannel trails, Lake Caldaro, etc., but probably for Stelvio or 3Cime.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 03:29 PM

The real issue about a spring trip is whether low grey clouds, fog and rain might happen for so many days in a row that you end up not being able to actually see the towering peaks of the Dolomiti themselves, from any view point, high or low.

If you are going for extended days, the chances of your getting at least some clear ones are good. But if you are planning 3 nights or less, poor weather could be a real obstacle. When I was in the Dolomiti I had started out with several days of clear weather, but one day was rainy, and it was startling that all the great scenery simply disappeared. Had I arrived to weather like that, I would have had no idea what I was missing. The tops of the mountains were totally obscured. It was like being in any ordinary mountain area in Oregon on a grey day. Smelled nice, but nothing to see except the trees.

Another problem people report is too much mud on many of the walking trails in spring.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 05:40 PM

Yes.It's too early.
Old Mar 1st, 2016, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone you've made my decision much easier. I will leave the Dolomites for a late summer visit.