Dolomites in August? Crowded?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a time frame open to go somewhere the last 2 weeks of August. We live in Virginia, so we do not want hot weather we like mountains over beaches.

I was wondering about the Dolomites in late August (Selva di Val Gardena?) Will it be crowded, or are kids back in school by then?

We could combine that area with the trip I want to talke back to Solgio, hopefully in the sunshine this time!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:08 AM

Hi Wren - No personal experience - but late August should be manageable and not too crowded.

Peak season is mid-July to mid-August.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 02:36 AM

Good thing about the Dolomites is that they don't seem to get mass tourism in high season, and it's easy to escape the crowds just by going off the beaten tracks. So in this respect it's very different from the Italian Lakes (e.g. Garda) and the coasts.
Being in the mountains, the weather varies a lot from day to day. A clear, warm sunny day in the 80s may be followed by a drizzly, cool day in the 60s where you can't see anything because of mist and fog. The weather has been pretty poor for the last two Augusts, with heavy rain, but who knows what it may be like this year.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this does help. I'm hoping we can wait until a few weeks before to make final plans and by then I might have an idea of how the summer weather is progressing in different areas in Europe.

I'm just learning about this area but it does look lovely. Seems to be plenty of places to stay around Selva di Val Gardena.

Any places not to miss driving from that area to Soglio?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM

Wren -

Which Soglio - the one near near Chiavenna?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Steve ~ yes the Soglio near Chiavenna

The Soglio of Chestnut Trees and the mountain views which I have only seen from Fodorite photos! When we were there in 07 it was very rainy, we never even got to see the mountains. I really want to go back and stay 2 nights so we can wander and walk.

However the rain did not stop me from enjoying the best polenta I've ever had at Palazzo Salis!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 06:15 AM

I
We've managed to visit the Dolomites several times--mainly Castlerotto and Ortisei. The summer months can be quite busy with the roads and passes filled with sightseers. I would not consider waiting until the last couple of weeks before departure to make accommodation reservations as we have found that they do book up. The trails and hiking areas are always available to get away from crowds.
I would suggest that you check out places to stay now to get a feel of how much pressure there is. The Dolomites are very popular in the summer and you will love the experience.
Paul
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

What I usually do is book early with a place that has a liberal cancellation policy ~ usually as long as I give them 30 days notice of cancellation, I do not lose any money. I've only ever had to cancel once, last year in Ireland when my husband's sister was able to join us.

I have already been checking out places to stay, mostly in Selva di Val Gardena ~ but I am open to other villages and places to stay.

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Wren - Selva or Ortisei in Val Gardena are excellent bases. I usually stay in Ortisei - but you can't go wrong with either.

I haven't got a map with me at the moment, but I think your most attractive route might be along the Engadine Valley, then continuing via Merano and Bolzano.

A scenic route from Bolzano to Val Gardena is via Siusi/ Castelrotto, then over the Pinei Pass via Ortisei to Selva.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve, I'll look at a map.