Search

Dolomites for a week

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolomites for a week

Hey all,
We will be visiting the dolomites for a week in Jaunary, 2013. I have a conference in Selva di Val Gardena and have lectyres from 4- 8 in the evening 4 out of those 7 nights. I have paid for my accomodation adn ski passes for that week and willl be staying at the Antares. Along with skiing, I would like to visit most of the areas (towns and scenic spots) in the dolomites. i love driving and wouldnt mind hiring a car for a cruise to the different towns/ or is it better to take public transport. If someone coud mention what are the best spots I should visit.
It would be great if you guys could help me out as I am a bit confused here
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 07:12 AM

Not sure you will really allowed to drive much. While the principal access to the valley is always open, the two passes on the top may be closed if there is too much snow. - Just as an hint: this last winter, Gardena pass was completely shut up from November to May, while Sella pass was closed only 18 days in March and April. - Even if passes are open, you should be extremely careful if there is snow on the roadway and your car should have appropriate winter equipment (snow tires or chains). So my advice is visiting Bolzano and Bressanone, nice cities with a German feel, not impossible to visit on public transport. But you can try the spectacular drive over the passo Sella only if driving is safe. Some of the most scenic spots in the area have cable cars, that are safe to ride. But there are few possible drives in winter.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Hey sorry if this doent make any sense, but if the passes are closed how would I reach Val Gardena from Bolazano (or Milan in my case) through public transport?
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 12:09 AM

Angat, Asps is right in some ways, but there is no need to worry. There is no pass to cross to get you into Bolzano or Val Gardena - for as long as you enter Val Gardena via Bolzano. It's the main route anyway.
During winter the bus services connecting the villages accross the passes are closed, so you do need a car if you want to see the Dolomites.
If you do hire a car then you need to be carefull driving, yes. Up in the mountains roads might be covered with snow, in the valleys they usually are free of snow unless it's snowing (of course. But they still might be icey. in the mountains they scatter salt and pebbles onto the roads to make driving saver. It helps, but you really need to be careful if you are not used to driving in these conditions. MAny Italiens come to visit the Dolomites in Winter - many of them drive in these conditions for the first time. They manage, I am sure so will you. Simply be careful and take your time driving.
If you do decide to hire a car you can do excursions visiting places as fas as Cortina d'Ampezzo following this link:

https://maps.google.de/maps?f=d&sour...&z=10&dirflg=d

I hope I could help. If you need any further info just send me a mail to [email protected]

Gerd
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Will definitely look into hiring a car to experience the great dolomites. Just another question- how long do you reckon it will take me to drive around the route you have staed Gerd?? As I will be based in Val Gardena would two days be enough to do the whole drive?