Dolomites, best route from Austria?

Sep 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Dolomites, best route from Austria?

We will be driving from Hallstatt in Austria to the Dolomites in mid October and have two nights before heading to Verona in Italy. Can't decide on which route to take and where to stay. Any help would be appreciated. Sasi
Sep 15th, 2003, 06:38 AM

Sasi - There are really only 2 main border crossings from Austria into the Dolomites, the western Brenner Pass route from Innsbruck or the eastern San Candido crossing from Lienz.

I'd probably suggest the eastern route via Lienz/San Candido.

From San Candido you could plan an extremely scenic route over some of the most scenic Dolomite passes - Falzarego, Valparola, Gardena, Sella ...

For an overnight on this route you could choose between Cortina, Corvara, Colfosco, Canazei ...

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve

Sep 15th, 2003, 07:27 AM

We traveled from Hallstatt across the Grossglocknerstrasse and then took the eastern route for our overnight in Bolzano. The ride across Grossglockner was fabulous, but it did add a couple of hours to our overall travel time that day.
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:09 AM

At the end of August we drove down through Lienz and it was a beautiful drive. We came back via the Brenner Pass and the traffic james were horrendous but I suppose that was because it was the holiday season.
Sep 15th, 2003, 09:10 AM

oops, that should be traffic jams.
Sep 17th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi Steve,

Thanks to all of you for the help. Steve, I can't seem to find the places you mentioned....I think I need a better map! Also, I neglected to say that we would be coming across the Glossglockner (sp) and heading towards Bolzano before going to Verona. We have a place to stay in Tiers but need someplace after Hallstatt, maybe Cortina? Are there lots of Zimmers along the route? Sasi
Sep 18th, 2003, 01:43 AM

Hi Sasi - We stayed above Tiers/Tires a couple of years ago at Carezza. Lovely area!

If you're coming over the Grossglockner Pass you will enter Italy at San Candido via Lienz. From San Candido your most scenic route is south from Dobbiaco via Cortina.

I think you'll have no trouble finding Zimmers en route. Cortina would be a good choice.

If you do that route, DON'T MISS the Lagazuoi cable car - probably the best in the Dolomites!

You have a choice of some of the best passes in the Dolomites between Cortina and Tires.
I can suggest a route if you like ...

Steve
Sep 18th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Steve,

Thanks for the prompt reply! I have my map out and have followed you so far. Would love to have you suggest a route. And, where is the Lagazuoi cable car located? We did this trip in 1985 (!)and just remember a little of it. We made the trip from Lienz via a round trip through the Dolomites and from Cortina on to Venice in one day! I remember we stayed in a zimmer somewhere near Lienz for $6 a night with breakfast! It was under a barn and the rooms were brand new with large bathrooms! Things have changed a bit. Sasi
Sep 19th, 2003, 02:26 AM

Sasi,

$6 a night?! Aahh - those were the days ...

The Lagazuoi cable car is 16km west of Cortina on the Falzarego Pass.

OK - here's the route I'd do:

1. From Dobbiaco (just west of San Candido) take the S51 south to CORTINA (32km).

[If you are in a hurry, stick to the S51 all the way.
If not, take the scenic S48 route via Lake Misurina and the Tre Croci Pass]

2. From Cortina take the S48 (Arabba/Falzarego Pass) route west.
The LAGAZUOI cable car is at the top of the Falzarego Pass. If the weather is clear, this is a superb ride with stunning views.
[Cortina-Lagazuoi = 16km]

3. From Lagazuoi turn right (signposted Valparola Pass) and descend to SAN CASSIANO and La Villa-in-Badia.
From La Villa turn left for CORVARA.
[Lagazuoi-Corvara = 20km]

4. From Corvara take the S243 route west
(signposted Gardena Pass/Colfosco/Ortisei).
After the GARDENA PASS (15km), turn left at the bottom on the S242 (signposted SELLA PASS/Canazei) and continue to CANAZEI.
[Corvara-Canazei = 32km]

5. From Canazei continue SW (dir. Trento) on the S48 to Pozza di Fassa (11km).
Just after Pozza, turn right on the S241
(signposted BOLZANO/Costalunga Pass).

6. Just after the summit of Costalunga Pass at CAREZZA, turn right (signposted Passo Nigra) for Tires/Tiers.
[Canazei-Tires = 35km]

All the villages en route are worth a stop - especially San Cassiano, Corvara, Colfosco and Canazei. By this route Cortina-Tires is just over 100 km, so that gives you plenty of time to stop, hike, explore ...

It's not the shortest route, but it hits some of the best scenery in the Dolomites!

From Tires you could take the Wine Route south from Bolzano and then the Lake Garda route rather than the autostrada to Verona if you're not in a hurry.

Let me know if I can be of more help, Sasi. Buon Viaggio.

Steve
Sep 19th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Steve, you are amazing--great stuff.
Sep 19th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Steve! I am impressed, too! I have printed out what you sent and will follow it to the letter. Thanks so much for all your time and effort. I emailed the route to the people we are going with and can't wait to hear their response! Thanks again.....Sasi
Sep 20th, 2003, 01:05 AM

Thanks Bob

Sasi - Do post when you get back. You'll wish you were staying longer, I think ...
Buon Viaggio!

Steve