Advice on Nimes, Arles and other points south

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here I am again, needing help. Here's what I have planned for the south (all to be done by public transpo). We’ll see Avignon sights Monday and late afternoons.<BR><BR>Mon: arrive Avignon<BR><BR>Tues: Nimes, bus back to Avignon via Pont du Gard<BR><BR>Wed: St. Remy, Glanum<BR><BR>Thurs: Arles<BR><BR>Friday: l’Isle sur la Sorgue (this is personal)<BR><BR>The problem is that Thursday May 1 is a holiday, and I read that there is a big festival in Arles (festival des gardians, cowboys of the Camargue, where they crown the Queen of Arles). As folklorique and interesting as that sounds, I’m not sure I want to be there on that day. There is so much to see in Arles anyway. Or maybe I should bag something and go to Arles twice.<BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 10:03 AM

I'm not sure I could decide definitively as that festival sounds like it might be fun for the main festivities (which I believe start in the amphitheatre around 4 pm, games, folkloric dances, etc.) They crowned the queen last year so she's good for 3 yrs. One thing that would let me decide would be whether the museums and attractions were going to be open that day or not (given it's Labor Day). One of the things I most enjoyed was the Arlaten Museum founded by Mistral to showcase local history, culture, decorative arts, costume, etc. I love those kinds of museums and that is one of the best of that kind -- so if it were going to be closed, I wouldn't go that day. But if you don't care fo that, might not matter so much. <BR><BR>All I can see is that I was in Arles during the Rice Festival, one of their biggies -- they had the running of the bulls that day and it was interesting so I guess I'm glad I went on that day, but the museums were open because that wasn't a big national holiday in other ways. One disadvantage was that the town was crammed that day because of the holiday and that wasn't so great; I did not like the crowds.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 11:25 AM

LVSue,<BR>Where are you staying this whole time - Avignon?<BR>JoeG
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 01:25 PM

Hi<BR><BR>I've got lots of info on this region on my homepage at : http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>Peter<BR>
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Joe, Avignon the whole time. I thought it would make a good base, transportation-wise. Thanks for your website, Peter�I'll check it out.<BR><BR>Christina, there's stuff going on all day, starting with the parade at 9:30. But at 4:30 they have a big do in the arena. I like provincial festivals, too, so I'm really thinking of going twice to Arles, once for major sights and once to catch the festivities and whatever I missed. From their websight, it doesn't appear that anything is closed (except the tourist office) on May 1, but there are festivities everywhere, all day. I may go there on Tuesday and check with the office de tourisme about festivities on�Thursday.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:34 AM

LVSue,<BR>I agree that maybe you should go to Arles on Tues. and then decide whether or not you want to go back on Thurs. Another possibility would be to base in Arles the whole time - it is more centrally located to what you want to see. 20 mi. to Nimes, 20mi to St Remy or less, 20 mi. to Avignon maybe a little further to Isle sur la Sorgue. Too much to see - too little time.<BR>JoeG