Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does this sound feasible? Colosseum/Forum Tour (morning) and Gianicolo Park (afternoon)?

Does this sound feasible? Colosseum/Forum Tour (morning) and Gianicolo Park (afternoon)?

Jun 14th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

I was hoping you could tell me if this day-plan sounds feasible. We'll be in Rome for 3 days in July, and on one of the days (a Tuesday) I have us scheduled for a Colosseum/Forum Tour from 10:00-12:30. After the tour, I was thinking that it might be nice to get sandwiches and head up to Gianicolo Park for a late picnic lunch. Someone earlier had posted that they had gotten gteat sandwiches in Testaccio (at a foodstore called Volpetti) and that they had been given a map for Giancolo and Avantine Hill; they had recommended picnicking in an orange garden that overlooks Rome, and then walking over to Circus Maximus. That said, approx. how far is it from the Forum area to Testacio (walkable? cabworthy?)? Do you think it will be too hot to do a picnic lunch at Gianicolo? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this day-plan!

Thanks!
Angela
Jun 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Do you have a map? It might be helpful to study one to understand the distances and locations.

The 'orange garden' is on the Aventine Hill, also the location of the Testaccio neighborhood. This is located just southwest of the Circus Maximus, which is just southwest of the Forum and Palatine Hill, much closer than the Gianicolo.

It is walkable, but for me the Gianicolo would also be walkable, just a longer walk.

The Gianicolo is a large park with views to the north, east, and south across all of Rome.

The 'orange park' is small by comparison, with views to the north and west, to my mind pleasant but not as full a view as the Gianicolo.

It really depends on how much time you want to spend. Whether or not it will be too hot depends on the weather when you are there.
Jun 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM

I'd suggest that you restrict yourself to Testaccio and the Aventine. You will probably be hot and tired after the Colosseum/Forum tour (there is very little shade). You can take a cab or the Metro (Colosseo to Piramide) to go to Volpetti at via Marmorata 47, and then walk up the Aventine hill.
Jun 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Angela, it looks as if you are trying to replicate somebody else's good experience, and expecting that the magic will be the same for you.

That seems to me to be a bad idea. Why not just carry an idea of the possibilities in your head, and decide on the day? You might end up doing, and enjoying, something completely different.
Jun 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM

The section of the Palatine overlooking the Forum is even closer than the Aventine and has great views from the Farnese Gardens over the Forum and of the Circus Maximus location toward the Via di San Gregorino entrance. The Platine is much greener than, not so hot as, the Forum
The Circus Maximus area is really just a big grassy area now.
As Ellenem says it would be a longer walk to the top of the Gianicolo. You do get a spectacular view from the Piazzale Garibaldi. You could take a cab up there and walk down hill toward Trastevere, through the Botanical Gardens
Jun 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM

I know you have already sorted out the idea of sandwiches before you take the walk. Make sure you do in fact buy them before you head off. We tried to do the same thing and found that there was absolutely nowhere to buy any food between the forum and the Aventine, except one dodgy looking van selling food. I was so tired, hungry and thirsty that we didn't end up going to the park which was a shame. We did however, finally find a really good restaurant and had a fantastic lunch, probably the best for the whole time in Rome. So be flexible with your plans and you never know what happens!!!
Jun 14th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for these suggestions--I really do appreciate it! And Padraig, I see what you're saying, but please know that it's not my intention to replicate someone else's experiences-- Like many other Fodorites, I was simply going on a recommendation from a poster that sounded wonderful to me, and given that we're only in Rome for a short visit this time around, I'd like to make the most of it, in part, based on the suggestions of Fodorites. Thanks again, everyone!
Jun 15th, 2007, 12:21 PM

I suspect it was my post about the Volpetti sandwiches and the map. We were indeed given a map by the lovely folks in Volpetti's, but not of Giancolo. It was of the park on Aventine Hill, a few minutes walk from Volpetti. We went to Giancolo Park on a different day and picnicked on pastry, after a morning at the Vatican and lunch at Osteria del Angelo's. We took a cab from near the up to the Piazzale Garibaldi and walked back down into Trastever. Both experiences were lovely but like another poster said, if you hope to picnic, make sure you have your food before your tour, or check the hours of any place you hope to buy from. Not much is open that is really good for take out food in the middle of the day.

Volpetti closes in the middle of the day too, I think at 1:30PM, but maybe not until 2:00. I would call them (or ask your hotel to call them) when you arrive, to check their hours. If they're open until 1:30 or 2:00, and you have the energy after your tour you could walk into Testaccio from the Forum but personally, I would grab a cab to Volpetti (to make the most of your time,) buy your food (there is also a fantastic pastry shop a few doors down from Volpetti) and head up Aventine hill. Don't forget to look through the keyhole on your way to the park.