Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to see a good view of the Roman Forum ruins for disabled visitor?

Sep 8th, 2013, 03:19 PM
rje
Original Poster

Hi, I'm traveling to Rome soon with a woman who has a disability. While she is able to walk, she can't walk very far. And a lot of stairs also pose a problem for her. I know, this is Italy. But there is still a lot she can see with good planning.

Since she will be unable to actually walk through the ruins of the Forum, I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a vantage point overlooking it where she can at least get a good view of the ruins.

The vantage point would need to be in a fairly flat area that we could get to by taxi, and that wouldn't require much walking from the taxi (and not more than a few stairs) to get to the view.

Anyone have any ideas where such a place might be?
Sep 8th, 2013, 03:34 PM

We went to the top of the Victor Emanuel monument and had a wonderful view of all of Rome and the Forum. There is a restaurant there and I really wish we had taken the time to have a snack and a drink and take in the views. It was just a phenomenal view! I know we climbed stairs to get to the first level and then we took an elevator. I don't know how you could get around the first set of stairs but maybe someone else can help?
Another place that would at least give you a look of the forums would be were we ended our walking tour - The Capitoline Museum area - I think a cab could get you there and avoid the stairs. Good luck!
Sep 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM

preview went straight to posting.
"Where" we ended our walking tour.
Sep 8th, 2013, 04:01 PM

This is easy. The Via die Fori Imperiali is the road that runs right alongside the forum. It has a wide, flat sidewalk and affords pretty good (free) views of the forum and Coliseum, and i think would work very well for you. You could take a taxi there so you'd have minimal walking. Check it out on google maps street view to get a better idea.
Sep 8th, 2013, 04:03 PM

Darn autocorrect. That should say Via dei Fori Imperiali.
Sep 8th, 2013, 04:59 PM

Yes, Via Dei Fori Imperiali between Piazza Venezia and the Colosseum has a bit of an overlook. Also, if she can walk somewhat up a slope, there is a paved road (not sure it's open to traffic - probably employees only) just this side of the Vittoria Emmanuele monument (the road is Via di San Pietro in Carcere). This leads to an overlook of the forum and it's not inside the paid area. You can Google the street name to locate it and have a taxi drop you there. It's near the Mammertine prison if you have a map of the Forum.
Sep 8th, 2013, 05:47 PM
rje
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great suggestions! I just checked out Via dei Fori Imperiali on Google maps, and there are spots along it that look like excellent locations for Forum views on terrain she could handle. And the Via di San Pietro in Carcere also looks extremely promising, if the road is indeed open to the public!

When we're there we'll also check out the Victor Emanuel monument. But we won't know if that is doable for her until we see the number of stairs.

Again, thanks! And I'll write a trip report after we get back!
Sep 8th, 2013, 06:19 PM

"When we're there we'll also check out the Victor Emanuel monument. But we won't know if that is doable for her until we see the number of stairs."

When I read this sentence it made me burst into laughter. The Vittorio Emanuele monument seems like it is all stairs when you actually try to climb them. Just when you think you're done, you turn a corner and there is another flight. However, there is also an elevator.

http://www.romabeniculturali.it/stor...riano-roma.htm
Sep 8th, 2013, 06:50 PM

>>>And the Via di San Pietro in Carcere also looks extremely promising, if the road is indeed open to the public<<<

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't. It's open to anyone walking, but most likely not to anyone driving unless an employee that works at Capitoline Museums or one of the other sites.

>>>But we won't know if that is doable for her until we see the number of stairs."<<<

Very steep, long set of stairs to get in the building and no handrail (some chains on the lower rail). There is a warning sign at the bottom about it. Once you are inside I imagine their would be an elevator, but can't imagine your friend being able to climb the outside stairs. This picture shows the outside stairs (only the lower part) more than ellen's link.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/dere...io-emanuele-ii
Sep 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM

If I am not mistaken there is actually a ramp from the Via Dei Fori Imperiali down into the forum - that someone could in fact use in a wheelchair. Granted most of the site is inaccessible due to broken bits of architecture - but it gives a closer view of some parts.
Sep 8th, 2013, 08:24 PM

If your friend can walk ~100yds she can get into the actual Roman Forum from a taxi drop-off and even get a seat which the other views very likely can't offer IIRC.
Go to
http://www.sagetraveling.com/Roman-F...icapped-Access

Look at the 2nd & 3rd aerial photos.

In the 2nd photo note the caption and arrow pointing to the [Accessible Entrance (with elevator) To Roman Forum].

In the 3rd photo note the same [Accessible Entrance...] is also shown.

Now in your mind combine the 2 photos and note the marked [Temple of Julius Cesar] in the 3rd.

Now you can see where a taxi would drop you off, then take the elevator down and walk over to the Temple of JC with alot of places to sit and view the Roman Forum.

In this photo it shows the Temple and people sitting on the Temple steps and also the large stone blocks in front of the Temple.

http://tinyurl.com/peay2x4 � (SAME URL BUT MIGHT OPEN OR BREAK) � http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CP1ze5ST2P...0/100_5726.JPG

Today we call the whole excavated area the 'Roman Forum' but in ancient times the Roman Forum was actually the central square and the buildings that surrounded it and you would sitting at one end of it with the entire Roman Forum in front of you.

If your friend could add another 100yds round-trip she could walk over to the large House and Temple of the Vestal Virgins (shown in the upper left corner of the 3rd photo).

Perhaps have the phone numbers of the taxi companies so you can call one when you are ready to leave.

Also have you thought about possibly hiring a private guide for 2-3hrs?

They could meet you at your hotel, then taxi say by the Circus Maximus (quick stop) with wonderful views of the ruins of the Palatine Hill's Palaces and then on to the Forum for a longer seated guided tour with stories of its history, call for a taxi and then say over to the Pantheon still with the guide and then whatever afterwards.
Sep 8th, 2013, 11:40 PM

I know this is an older article, but it may still have some good advice for your friend. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/accessible/rome/index.htm
Sep 9th, 2013, 07:25 AM

While the slowtrav info is a little old, the Forum has done some construction and changed things a bit since then. They do have a couple of mobility scooters for use, but you have to reserve them at least a week in advance. I would imagine it's hard to reserve (the article I read said there were only 2). They've made some of the Forum accessible with the mobility scooters.
Sep 9th, 2013, 07:48 AM

In this picture, the white building is Vittorio Emanuele. Just to the right corner of the building you can see just a bit of the lane I was talking about (via di San Pietro in Carcere) where you access from Via dei Fori Imperiali (running through the center of the pic - lined with trees). The street at the far right of the pic is Via Cavour. At that intersection will be an accessible area, but it's more ground level. The Via di San Pietro in Carcere will be from a higher level with a more sweeping view. A taxi may be able to take you down that road a bit. There's also another road on the other side of Vittorio Emanuele (I haven't been on it and it's quite steep) that a taxi may be able to access and take you to the overlook.

http://www.sovraintendenzaroma.it/i_...fori_imperiali
Sep 9th, 2013, 08:14 AM

You may find this older thread helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...wheelchair.cfm
Sep 9th, 2013, 12:24 PM
rje
Original Poster

Wow, a lot of very helpful information. I'm printing this and bringing it with us.

We'll have to play it by ear about whether she can actually go down to the site, but if not, the Via di San Pietro in Carcere idea sounds like a terrific spot for an overview. Hopefully the taxi driver will be able to take us on it! We're going to start there and then see how much more she feels up to.

And this thread should help others, too.

Thanks so much!
Sep 9th, 2013, 12:45 PM
rje
Original Poster

Looking at Google maps, it appears that if one is on Via di San Pietro in Carcere, there seems to be a fork onto Clivo Argentario, which leads to the Mamertine Prison.

Anyone know if there are also views from there?
Sep 9th, 2013, 02:40 PM

>>>Clivo Argentario<<<

More at ground level (sort of even with the Forum - just slight elevation). Via di San Pietro slopes up so you are above looking down. Sweeping view of the Forum towards the Colosseum.

If you Google Via Monte Tarpeo which is on the opposite side of Vittorio Emanuele and choose the satellite version (zoom in), you will see cars on that street and traffic directional arrows. That area is up higher. You couldn't walk it like you can Via di San Pietro in Carcere as it would be too steep of an incline, but a taxi might be able to take you there also. That area (where Monte Tarpeo and Via Foro Romano intersect) would be looking down into the Forum area.

Would she be able to use/drive the scooter if the admission office has availability? That would give you a bit more flexibility.
Sep 9th, 2013, 02:51 PM

slightly off topic, are you aware that there is a lift up from floor level to the first floor level of the colosseum? once you are inside and at the ticket offices, keep going as it were to your left, rather than into the arena, and it's right at the end of the downstairs area.

also, for an interesting view over the roofs of St Peter's you can get the lift to roof level as if you were going up the Dome, but stop there, you can wander around up there, get a unique view of the backs of all the statues, even get a coffee from the cafe up there and go to the loo.
Sep 9th, 2013, 05:41 PM
rje
Original Poster

The tip about the lift in the Colosseum is great, thanks.

And the Via Monte Tarpeo appears to be even more promising than the Via di San Pietro in Carcere, as it seems to have a more interesting array of structures encompassed in the view. If I'm not mistaken, the direction of the view even has the Colosseum in the distance. It will be interesting to find out how one accesses that road in a taxi. When I tried "Directions" in Google maps, it said it was accessed from the Via di San Pietro in Carcere! This is pretty specialized information, but if anyone reading this actually knows the route (and if it is open to taxi drivers), that information would be appreciated!

We'll also look into the good suggestion of a scooter to see if one is available.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO