Search

Does this itinerary look doable?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this itinerary look doable?

Day 1 - in the air
Day 2 - Land in Paris- get car - start drive thru Giverny, Rouen - stay at Honfleur
Day 3 - drive thru Lisieux - Caen - nite at Bayeux
Day 4 - visit d-day sites - nite Bayeux
Day 5 - drive to Dinan - on the way visit MSM and maybe St. Malo - sleep in Dinan
Day 6 - Drive to Amboise
Day 7 - visit Chenoceaux
Day 8 - drive to Beaune
Day 9 - visit wineries, small villages, etc. sleep in Beaune
Day 10 - Drive to Annecy
Day 11 - Annecy to Colmar
Day 12 - Colmar wine route, see villages
Day 13 - Colmar to Paris
Day 14 - Paris
Day 15 - Paris
Day 16 - Paris
Day 17 - leave

This is to much to take in? How would you change it? You guys are terrific with advise. And I am exhusted in planning this trip. And is Normandy going to be crowded being that it's the 60 anniversary of d-day?
We are planning this trip for May 14 -30. Will I need reservations (except for Paris) at all these places? We need a triple room.
Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:20 PM

It is a lot of moving around but if you don't mind that, it is doable. Day 5 looks busy, day 7 relaxed. I think, given the amount of moving you plan, I would want advance reservations so that you won't have to spend time looking for a place to stay each time.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:06 PM

The itinerary looks a bit aggressive - lots of driving. It seems you'll just be getting to a place and then leaving.

I would probably skip Colmar since you're already going to Beaune and will have a taste of wineries and add another day at the beginning of the trip to overcome jet lag and relax a bit. Also you might consider adding another day to Paris or Annecy.

In Bayeux will you be seeing the tapestry? It's fabulous. It doesn't look like your itinerary allows for that. And will you be stopping in Giverny or Rouen or just driving past?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:54 PM

After an overnight flight, I highly recommend stopping at Giverny, Vernon or Rouen and getting out to walk around and get your blood circulating again. They are all great towns to visit. Have a nice relaxed dinner and go to bed early. I think you'll enjoy the rest of the trip much more if you aren't still jet lagged at the end of the first week.

The rest is busy but certainly within reason. It sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:18 PM

Frankly I don't think it's too ambitious at all. I've done many driving trips like that with one to three night stops all along the way and gone on like that for weeks. And none of these are long days driving. My only quibble is I bet you won't enjoy Mont St. Michel if you don't spend a night there and see it without all the other daytrippers. And it also sounds like a lot for your first day after flying -- especially if you plan to actually visit Rouen and Giverny.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Ok - I'll keep tweeking.
Day 1 - visit giverny and stay the nite at Rouen.
Day 2 - visit Honfleur - nite at Bayeux
Eliminate Colmar.
add a day in Annecy - maybe see Mt. Blanc
Add a day in Paris.
Better?
I am concern about the drive from Annecy to Paris. I think I need to stop somewhere. Maybe Vezalay?
Thanks.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Your new day one looks like a better option.

Annecy to Paris is 5.5 hours driving. You were going to drive from Chenonceaux to Beaune without stoppping which was 5 hours.

Since you won't need a car in Paris why don't you drop the car in Annecy and take the train to Paris. You can relax and look at the scenery and arrive more refreshed.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:00 AM

The train is a good option from Annecy to Paris, but if it involves a drop off charge or a higher rate, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be taking the highway I assume and it is an easy drive. I sure wouldn't break that drive up with another forced overnight -- I think you'll be ready to get to Paris. When we drove that way we were going to stop for lunch in Beaune, but it was pouring rain so we pressed right on to Paris arriving early in the afternoon.