Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does the one carry on British Airways allows include your purse or can you also carry your purse?

Search

Does the one carry on British Airways allows include your purse or can you also carry your purse?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Angie

I have been reading all the bad publicity on carry on size etc on British Airways. I personally feel they need to be sort of strict on this but I was wondering if they are like other airlines and also let you carry your purse. Don't mean to sound dumb but I will be flying with BA soon and was curious. <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Angie

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:38 AM
JOdy

yes, you may carry a purse in addition to your carry-on bag, which may or may not be weighted, depending on the discretion of the ticket agent. My purse is actually bigger than my carryon!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Angie

Thanks, I know the weight limit on the carry on is 12 lbs. Is that the same weight on the purse?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR><BR>Angie

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Catherine

Angie, hopefully your purse won't weigh close to 12 lbs.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Alice the Magyar

I just used BA in May and June. I Saw so many folks with what another airline would call two carry ons! They were all almost small to medium sized bags. BA did make sure they were not over sized, and almost every single normal size carry on got weighed! I was shocked not one person was stopped or even questioned that had two small back packs or small roll on and a back pack as carry ons! I would not it chance going to Hungary, no way. But returning home, I went to the Duty free shops at the airport and shopped, I know I went way over on the weight in my bag and large purse. But my bag was not weighed! Maybe bacause it looked small. I would have paid extra If I had to, to bring my things home. I told them at the gate I shopped at the duty free shops. They said it was ok. Alice

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:04 AM
JOdy

Angie , they don't weigh your purse..just your carry on..the trick is no matter how much your purse weighs..act like there is nothiing in it but your wallet and kleenex!!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Mel

This might be strange, but I average two trips on BA each year--most recently in February--and I've never had them weigh my carry-on. Once my H and I each took large leather duffles and, as Jody said, we hauled them up on our arms as if they weighed nothing (WRONG) and walked on down the ramp. At the very least, I carry a back-pack type purse and my H carries a bookbag type backpack. We've flown out of Newark, Philadelphia and Chicago and never been asked to weigh. Same on the returns and connections to Edinburgh.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Jean

Why don't you call B.A. and ask them your question?

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Marilyn

I think the carryon weight limit is 13 lbs, not 12. What I observed recently flying BA (from LAX to LHR to Rome, then back to LHR, and back to SFO) was the "carryon police" hefting bags in the waiting room at Heathrow. The woman who was doing this ignored smaller bags, even my tote, but methodically tried anything the size of a duffle or rolling suitcase. They absolutely did not give a damn in Rome.<BR><BR>I thought maybe they only care about the weight of bags which will not fit under the seat and must go in the overhead. That would make sense, as bags in the overhead compartment could fall and injure someone, but I can't see why the weight of the bag under your seat should make any difference.<BR><BR>At any rate, I think the best chance of getting around the problem is to keep your bag on the small side (to fit under the seat) and perfect the trick of looking like it's filled with feathers instead of lead weights.