Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does Renfe enforce luggage weight limit for train travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites! I've been away from this forum for too long, but am now planning a trip to Spain for May 2012 and need some help!

I'm working on the itinerary & travel plans - will post the itinerary for comments later. My question now has to do with Renfe trains. I was considering the Renfe ALTARIA train 9:10-13:35 for the leg from Granada to Madrid. However, I was thrown for a loop today when I noticed the Renfe website says there is a total luggage weight limit of 20 kg per person, including carryon. We each travel with 1 suitcase & 1 carryon and keep the weight under 23kg for the checked bag & 10kg for the carryon, but there is no way we can get the combined luggage weight under 20 kg per person.

If you have experience on Renfe trains, please comment as to whether they actually weigh your bags and/or somehow enforce the luggage weight limit. Also, is there an area adequate for storage of normal size suitcases on the trains? Since our luggage will have a combined weight in the range of 30kg per person, should I give up on using Renfe for travel days and concentrate on plane & bus options?

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 09:37 AM

I've never heard of nor experienced them weighing luggage, but I can't speak to what they are doing most recently. I personally doubt it. Yes, it's just like any train, there are spaces at the end of the car for normal size suitcases.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 10:10 AM

I have never seen them enforce that and I don't even think there is a scale anywhere nearby any of the stations I have used. A case and carry-on should be fine. Maybe they have to put something so.. they invented that to use if someone really abuses it. I just learned no golf clubs on the AVE.

The AVE has very little space for big bags.. so board early. Those others, I am not sure how they have been arranged, but the newer fast trains are NOT generous with luggage space at end of cars.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 10:29 AM

This past October I saw people struggle w/getting cases on the security belt and on /off the actually train but no scales to weigh them.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/info/index.html
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Anyone else who has firsthand experience on Renfe, your comments will be appreciated.

chapla mentioned seeing people struggle getting suitcases on the security belt. Do all Renfe stations make you load suitcases onto a belt? Do they pass them through a scanner with a limited width/height like an airport scanner?
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 12:37 PM

Just remember that you will be handling the luggage yourselves, so plan accordingly. And as already mentioned, there is limited space to store your luggage, so you need to board as soon as possible, even if you're traveling Preference class.

A smaller wheeled carry-on will fit in the overhead rack, but anything over 21" should go in the luggage area at the end of the car.

The line grows quickly once they announce the departure gate, so stay alert.

All Renfe stations have a scanner that you have to pass your luggage through. Most of the ones we've encountered will handle a 28" piece of luggage without any problem, but if your planning on taking anything that large, good luck with getting it onto the train.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will not, like some have, assume you cannot handle, lift, pull, etc., the luggage you are taking along with you.

In addition to being aware of which gate/platform the train will board from also be aware that you are not, whether anyone HERE agrees or not, restricted to storing your luggage IN the coach where your seats are located.

People in Europe store luggage wherever they can find a spot and nobody from Renfe is going to mionitor where your luggage is finally stored. If that area in the rear of the coach is full then don't hesitate to use ANOTHER one. I've done it before in a pinch and so can you.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM

My bags were scanned for security reasons, but no weighing or sizing. I presumed you were talking about a 22-24 inch bag when you said "normal". It's true some trains seem to be skimping more on luggage space, I generally try to get on as soon as possible to make sure I get a space to put mine.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 06:48 AM

Since we're talking about Spain and Renfe, not the rest of Europe, room for luggage is limited, especially when traveling tourist class. Depending on the station, the platform height is not always level with the coach entry, which can be a problem with larger pieces. Luggage is not allowed to sit in the aisle, there's just no room, even in Preferente class. You can not use the open seat beside you since all of the seats on the medium and long distance trains are reserved. And Spaniards are always in a hurry to get on or off the train.

Also, some stations do not have platform elevators or escalators, so you'll have to lug your heavier luggage up and down the stairs to reach the far platforms at some of the smaller stations, which can be a pain.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 10:28 AM

I normally travel with a 26" suitcase that is around 23kg and a smaller 20" suitcase that weighs a little less in addition to a smaller daypack. I've never had my luggage weighed when taking the renfe train and seen other travelers with similar pieces. As others have mentioned you will need to lift your bags about 1 foot up to the security belt. You may also need to lift them 6 inches or so onto the train. I always try to board the train early so I can fit my luggage onto the storage bins at the end of each compartment and also not inconvenience others as I put them away. I stack them so they take up as little space as possible leaving room for others (many people just throw their luggage onto the bins leaving later arrivals to rearrange and stack other passengers luggage). On occasion I've had to leave my luggage outside of the storage area between the railway cars - usually during heavy travel times. Not good but really no other choice. You specifically mention Granada & Madrid which are large stations with elevators. Personally I've only had issues twice where a station didn't have an elevator - in Biarritz, France and in Irun, Spain at the topo station (not the renfe station). However I often travel by bus to the smaller cities so this isn't an issue.

By the way, May is a wonderful time to visit Spain and particularly Andalucia. If possible please plan your trip around one of the many festivals that occur during this time. They will give you a better sense of the culture and Spanish festivals are always a good time!
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the info. Our suitcases are about 26" high incl the wheels, about 18" wide. We can handle them for a normal set of steps, a security belt, or a short lift to get into a train, but can't lift them up high without risk of back problems. Since the trains have such limited storage & it sounds like we could end up in a rush-rush situation trying to get space, I think we'll concentrate on planes & buses for the days we travel with luggage and just use Renfe for day trips. I hope to post a tentative itinerary in the next day or so. Will look forward to your comments.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM

I wouldn't rule out Renfe for the long haul trips especially if it takes significantly longer by bus (ie. Madrid to Sevilla, Madrid to Barcelona) or even plane when you factor in the travel time and waiting at the airport. I honestly think you're sweating it too much. I travel solo most of the time and would never be able to lift my suitcases more than a couple of feet.

Looking forward to your itinerary.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 12:17 AM

Here's an idea. You can SEND those HUGE cases ahead to a destination by bus, keeping your clothes for the next few days with you. I have done that in the past for my family members who must have thought we did not own a washer.. or that we would be changing clothes/shoes three times a day and that we owned a people mover to get from point A to B.

(They have since learned)
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 07:37 PM

I just read in another Travel board that in the AVE train you can check in your lugagge , like at the airport??? I have never heard of that. I just went to the Renfe website and the only info about lugagge that I can find is the same that the OP mentions. Has anybody heard about this?
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 03:26 AM

While they do pass your luggage through a x-ray machine/scanner, they don't weigh (or even touch) your luggage. If you can LUG-it, you can take-it. You'll be responsible for managing it onto the train and placing it in the car-end luggage racks or placing it in the overhead space. There's a possibility that oversized items might need some special attention if they won't fit in the luggage racks. Not sure what they do in those cases, however.

Happy Spain Travels!

Saludos, MadridMan @ you-know-where!!
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:05 AM

putting baggage limit won't help. Rather they should increase the height to make space for luggage for facilitating passengers. Also, even passengers should know the length of their travel and should carry bags sizes accordingly. i hve recently come across an article which explained this quite clearly. I'm sharing the link to that article, http://needbagsblog.blogspot.in/2013...king-tips.html
check it out. It may help.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM

Putting baggage limit won't help. Rather they should increase the height to make space for luggage for facilitating passengers. Also, even passengers should know the length of their travel and should carry bags sizes accordingly. i hve recently come across an article which explained this quite clearly. I'm sharing the link to that article, http://needbagsblog.blogspot.in/2013...king-tips.html or check here http://www.needbags.in/content.aspx?pgid=207587 check it out. It may help