Does Parma worth a visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be on a business trip in Bologna and I will have some free days available for tours. I'm interested in the cities of art, but I would avoid places too crowded with tourists as Florence which I have already visited. I was thinking to stay in Parma and visit the city. Do you think that might be worth devoting a few days or advise me to reach other cities (Venice it seems to me too far away). Thank you.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:33 AM

I think most of the answers you are going to get will say yes, but I would say no. I have visited most of the medium sized cities in the area and Parma was was my least favorite. It just didn't seem to have the charm or the 'something' ( can't put my finger on it) that the others had. I much preferred Ferrera, Modena, Mantua, Verona, Padua, Bergamo. Now some of those are further from Bologna than Parma but none of them more than a couple of hours. Are you talking about day trip or staying overnight for a couple days? Also, how much free time do you have in Bologna itself?
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:35 AM

I'm not really sure isabel and me we're talking about the same city, because I have visited Parma and I really loved it. I was there 10 years ago on the occasion of the exhibition on the painter Parmigianino which celebrated the fifth centenary of the birth. And it was magnificent. The exhibition was set up inside the halls of the Farnese theater that is really worth been seeing if you are lovers of Renaissance art, as well as Palazzo della Pilotta.
Even Ferrara is beautiful and all the cities of Emilia they are, but what distinguishes Parma is a kind of smiling atmosphere somehow. If in addition to being an art lover you are also a lover of good food Parma is undoubtedly the place for you! I have been in a hotel close to the station and I was fine http://www.astoriaresidencehotel.it/.
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:10 AM

I think Parma is beautiful and has a personality that is all its own. To me, Ferrara is grim and more a castle-dungeon city than an art city, and Parma is filled with color and grace (and wonderful smells). It is also easy to stay in Parma and visit Reggio nell'Emilia from there, and Modena. They are very easy to reach by train from Parma and they have wonderful art treasures.

Someplace else you should consider is Ravenna, which is the most spectacular art city in that area, without many tourists. If you have a couple of days, consider spending a night in Ravenna before or after going to Parma (or some other town). If you would rather not switch hotels so much, you can check out of your Bologna hotel and leave your luggage in the Bologna train station, go to Ravenna for the day, and then come back to Bologna to pick up your luggage before taking the train to whatever next small art city you choose.
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:46 AM

I would say it's definitely worth a visit, but you don't need to spend an entire day and overnight there to get a feel for the city. I would recommend getting there about mid-morning, spend a couple hours strolling around, visiting what there is to see, and have a good long lunch somewhere in the centro area. Then perhaps visit another small town in the area, and do the same thing for dinner.
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:52 AM

I loved my day in Parma - really neat old city with an unGodly number of old churches, towers, etc. and nice parks. It is also a place full of bikers and bicycles. I also enjoyed Mantua - lovingly set on a lake and not far from Parma.
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 09:19 PM

I loved visiting Verdi's house in Parma as well as local cheese makers to buy huge wedges of aged parmesan to take with me back home. Dec worth a stop but If I had to pick between Parma Padua And Verona I'd choose Padua, Verona then Parma. Also The mosaics in Ravenna are legendary... if you can make it there it is a wonderful wonderful stop
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 12:39 AM

We did a day trip to Parma from bologna and actually preferred Modena and verona.