Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know of a tour for a Gondola ride?

Mar 8th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

A few years ago American Express had a "Venice by night Gondola ride" but I have called them and no one knows anything about it now. I am hoping someone knows of something similar?

Appreciate any help or suggestions
Mar 9th, 2007, 12:50 AM

I can't see how it would be any different from you just hiring a gondola for an hour when you get there??
Mar 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

When my DH and I were there in 2002 we asked several different Gondoliers their prices and we were quoted 210 euros for a ride and decided it was a bit much; when we got back home we read about AMEX and it was 20 euros. Big difference for having a Gondola ride by ourselves vs having it with other people and since I don't care to go on one by myself, I would like to find out about other options??
Mar 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM

You do have to bargain with gondoliers, and you get better rates at gondolier stations that are away from San Marco-try one on the Strada Nuova in Cannaregio, for example (by Ca'd'Oro vaporetto stop) and you should get a pretty good rate, however, like everything else in Venice this year, their rates have gone up.

If you want to do the group gondola ride, a lot of people enjoy them, as there are some very good singing gondoliers-and I've passed them many a night out on the Grand Canal, as the singing carries across the water, and all seemed to be having a hugely good time.

Here's the site to book a singing group gondola tour:

http://www.venicewelcome.com/servizi...a-serenade.htm

And an article about Gallivanting by Gondola:

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/gallivanting_by_gondola.htm
Mar 9th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. It definitely helps.
Mar 10th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Hey, Traveler2. We paid 80 euros for a 30 ride one very cool night in April. It was amazingly quiet, the moon was softly shining and very romantic. Well worth the money.

Hope you get back to enjoy!
Mar 10th, 2007, 09:11 AM

You're not going to get a gondola ride from anyone for 20 €. The going rate is 80-100 €. As for a "tour," you can negotiate with the gondoliers to take you pretty much anywhere they can go. You DO have to bargain, though. If someone quotes you 210 €, haggle until you get a more reasonable price.
Mar 10th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Stik Travel offers group gondola rides starting at 33 E.

http://www.venicewelcome.com/servizi...d-foot-our.htm

Click on Booking for prices and offers.
Mar 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM

The official rate for a gondola, in any part of town, is 80 euros in the day and 100 at evening/nite. But the rate is for up to 6 people -- the 100 euro rate, then, works out to 16.67 per person.
Unless circumstances are very unusual, dickering will get you nowhere. But you may be quoted a higher price if you look like a dork. Gondoliers can be fined for charging more than the official rate. Remember there are a dozen more at the next bridge.
Gondoliers are restricted to limited territories near their location. You cannot take one from anywhere to anywhere. Although the popular tour books suggest that you ask for a ride in the back canals and to avoid the Grand Canal, the GC is the main drag-- colorful, beautiful, bustling -- and a combo trip ( in an area not near the heavy traffic by the Ducale Palace etc) is a good compromise.
Tours are available at the Tourist Bureau and at various travel agents around town. They usually consist of 6,7, or more gondolas in procession with an accordionist and a singer. Great fun for a group, probably not much so for a couple who don't know the mob.
Mar 11th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Jed

Last October, my wife and I took the night serenade trip as mentioned by girlspytravel:
http://www.venicewelcome.com/servizi...a-serenade.htm

It says 40€/person.

It was enjoyable. I suggest that you make a reservation since they tend to fill up, although you can change easily.

I imagine you could 'wing it' when you get there, but we like to have reservations.

Hint: If you are going with someone special, say "anniversario" to the gondolier before you get in. Otherwise, you may not sit next to your special, as they are crowded, and seating for 2 is rationed.