COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Documents for grandchildren

Old May 20th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 63
Documents for grandchildren

We're taking our granddaughters to Paris next month. Do we need any special documents or permissions to take them out of the country or in case they need medical attention? Thanks so much for all your answers. This forum is making our planning so much easier!
pegtrav is offline  
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,499
With so many rules & regs regarding the movement of children in & out of jurisdictions, I think it would go without saying that a notarized letter giving permission from the parents for movement & care would be necessary.

Consider calling your airline as they will likely be the first to ask for authorization and may give you hints regarding the form & wording.
MmePerdu is online now  
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,383
Obtain a letter from the parents granting you the right to take them out of the US and to obtain medical care for them if needed. Have the letter notarized.
HappyTrvlr is offline  
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,678
Absolutely, you need authorization signed and notorized by both parents! You need a formal, temporary guardianship which authorizes you to get medical care if necessary. It also must be notorized. The children, of course, need their own passports. I would even take copies of their birth certificates. They need insurance.
Sassafrass is offline  
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33,937
I wouldn't depend on an airline to give me hints or wording for a form myself, they can barely answer questions about their own services. I guess you could call and ask them, but I wouldn't stop there nor be surprised iof the person answeringg the phone was clueless. I went to Mexico last Fall on AA airline and their CS agents could not even tell me if AA passed on the official immigration form or not on the airplane, or if there was a fee for it (given I had gotten my ticets with points and that form is usually one of the included taxes on a ticket). No one could tell me and they fly to Mexico all the time.

Well, that's my rant, but airline CS phone agents often don't know much but the basics.

The US State Dept has info on this and links

They suggest going to the embassy's website of the country you are entering, but I couldn't find anything on France's.

HEre is a passport website that gives you a form to use, it looks okay
Christina is online now  
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 63
Thank you! I'm glad I asked. I hadn't even thought about it until now!
pegtrav is offline  
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,868
Rather than have the parents write a letter, use the form that Cristina links to above. It covers all the bases that I think you need,and probably more information than really necessary. My paralegal sister sent a form like to my husband, who was flying across state lines, not internationally, with our grandson. You may never need to show it, but why take the risk of being denied boarding.
socaltraveler is online now  
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,997
I'm taking my granddaughter to France in June and will use the form mentioned above; however, I imagine an additional "document' would be needed for medical care, etc.?
grandmere is offline  
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,499
"Well, that's my rant,..."

Glad I could help.
MmePerdu is online now  
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,817
You could just have the notary add a phrase about "the right to authorize any and all necessary medical care" (or words to that effect). No need for a separate document.
fuzzbucket is offline  
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:51 AM
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,203
We have traveled with my granddaughter internationally several times. Her parents are divorced, and we always get a notarized letter from both parents, giving us permission to take her to our home for a stated period of time, and to get any necessary medical care for her while she's with us. Since her parents have joint custody, when my daughter comes to visit us with my granddaughter, she gets a similar letter from her ex-husband. In this case, she doesn't need to get permission for medical attention.

My granddaughter once got appendicitis while she was in Italy, so it's not a far-fetched idea that a child might need medical attention abroad.
bvlenci is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jul 10th, 2009 04:06 PM
May 20th, 2007 07:15 AM
Mexico & Central America
Nov 27th, 2006 06:37 AM
Mexico & Central America
Feb 15th, 2005 11:26 AM
Mexico & Central America
Jun 10th, 2002 01:09 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information