Documents for grandchildren

Old May 20th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Documents for grandchildren

We're taking our granddaughters to Paris next month. Do we need any special documents or permissions to take them out of the country or in case they need medical attention? Thanks so much for all your answers. This forum is making our planning so much easier!
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:01 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
With so many rules & regs regarding the movement of children in & out of jurisdictions, I think it would go without saying that a notarized letter giving permission from the parents for movement & care would be necessary.

Consider calling your airline as they will likely be the first to ask for authorization and may give you hints regarding the form & wording.
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:15 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Obtain a letter from the parents granting you the right to take them out of the US and to obtain medical care for them if needed. Have the letter notarized.
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:42 AM

Absolutely, you need authorization signed and notorized by both parents! You need a formal, temporary guardianship which authorizes you to get medical care if necessary. It also must be notorized. The children, of course, need their own passports. I would even take copies of their birth certificates. They need insurance.
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't depend on an airline to give me hints or wording for a form myself, they can barely answer questions about their own services. I guess you could call and ask them, but I wouldn't stop there nor be surprised iof the person answeringg the phone was clueless. I went to Mexico last Fall on AA airline and their CS agents could not even tell me if AA passed on the official immigration form or not on the airplane, or if there was a fee for it (given I had gotten my ticets with points and that form is usually one of the included taxes on a ticket). No one could tell me and they fly to Mexico all the time.

Well, that's my rant, but airline CS phone agents often don't know much but the basics.

The US State Dept has info on this and links
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ing-to-another

They suggest going to the embassy's website of the country you are entering, but I couldn't find anything on France's.

HEre is a passport website that gives you a form to use, it looks okay http://www.us-passport-service-guide...sent-form.html
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I'm glad I asked. I hadn't even thought about it until now!
Old May 20th, 2016, 12:53 PM

Rather than have the parents write a letter, use the form that Cristina links to above. It covers all the bases that I think you need,and probably more information than really necessary. My paralegal sister sent a form like to my husband, who was flying across state lines, not internationally, with our grandson. You may never need to show it, but why take the risk of being denied boarding.
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:07 PM

I'm taking my granddaughter to France in June and will use the form mentioned above; however, I imagine an additional "document' would be needed for medical care, etc.?
Old May 20th, 2016, 01:11 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"Well, that's my rant,..."

Glad I could help.
Old May 20th, 2016, 10:19 PM

You could just have the notary add a phrase about "the right to authorize any and all necessary medical care" (or words to that effect). No need for a separate document.
Old May 21st, 2016, 01:51 AM

We have traveled with my granddaughter internationally several times. Her parents are divorced, and we always get a notarized letter from both parents, giving us permission to take her to our home for a stated period of time, and to get any necessary medical care for her while she's with us. Since her parents have joint custody, when my daughter comes to visit us with my granddaughter, she gets a similar letter from her ex-husband. In this case, she doesn't need to get permission for medical attention.

My granddaughter once got appendicitis while she was in Italy, so it's not a far-fetched idea that a child might need medical attention abroad.