Search

Do you carry a backpack?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you carry a backpack?

Just curious to see what others do.

Do you carry a backpack/daypack in major European cities (i.e., Paris)?

I feel like it's a heavy, cumbersome, sweat-inducing annoyance that just looks touristy but hubby says it's essential for carrying a water bottle, maps, etc. Your thoughts?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM

My wife uses a backpack for her carry-on piece. Saves space in her checked luggage. She would take it anyhow.

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:56 PM

While you don't carry it at your back..it's ok. I've carried a small leather backpack as a purse but never on my back, it is too easy to open it without you noticing
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

Odd question: I imagine you will learn that some folks do and some do not.

I generally take a backpack -- a small freebie I got as a participant in a half-marathon in Sweden.

I generally thrown in the papers and other bits I need for a day's sightseeing. Never a wallet or passport. I don't carry water -- dehydration being preferable to a burst bladder.

I wear it on one shoulder and generally grip the strap, as I would at home.

Two-strap backpacks worn on the back look VERY lame, except on schoolkids and hikers.

No woman should wear a back pack, IMO. Just a fashion prejudice of mine.

And I wouldn't carry it when going anywhere the least bit "special".
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:48 PM

I hate them. I've gotten wacked by people who have them overstuffed & turn quickly. I can't imagine anyone would need to carry that much stuff around during the day that wouldn't fit over a shoulder.

You can get carabiners that hold a water bottle & it clips onto belt loops, camera cases or purses.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM

I would never wear a backpack:

It's just begging for someone to steal out if it - since it's BEHIND you and you can;t see it

They're too big, weigh too much and take up too much room

WHY?

(I carry a parachute nylon Sportsac that weighs nothing, can be worn on the shoulder or bandolier style - and easily holds everything you need for the day.)
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM

I hate backpacks. I have never used one and never will.

People who wear them simply take up more space and get in the way. They are a curse in buses and on trains and in shops and in museums -- anywhere there is a crowd. [Note that "they" refers to the people, not the backpacks; backpacks are harmless in themselves.]
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM

While touring in cities, I usually carry a lightweight bag over my shoulder or across my body It has my jacket, umbrella, map, etc. I also put my digital slr in there when I am carrying it (in its case, which can also be carried separately).

For the travel days I often do use a black day pack (and I am female) to carry my papers, camera, laptop (if I have it on the trip) etc. This frees my hands for dealing with a suitcase, tickets, etc. Plus I don't get as fatigued carrying that heavy stuff on my back through airports, etc., where I would if it were in a bag on one shoulder. There are times when I use a wheeled briefcase carry on bag instead of the pack, but I really don't enjoy having two wheeled pieces in airports and train stations.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM

I carry a bag similar to a Vera Bradley purse. It is good for a water bottle, umbrella, etc., and does not look so touristy.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM

I have a old bag (it's held up very well) by Eagle Creek that converts from a shoulder bag to a backpack; it's a little smaller than a regular backpack. It's big enough, though, to carry 1-2 small umbrellas, guide books, maps and usually an extra thin sweater for me (we don't usually carry water bottles).

In cities, I always carry it on my shoulder, strap across my body. When DH carries it (it's not a purse), he does the same. But when we're in the country or small towns, DH will wear it as a backpack - he has some back issues that get worse from carrying the bag on his shoulder all the time. It's the best of both worlds!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM

If i'm sightseeing, I'd probably only use a small one, but not for anything important. Might use one of those little free drawstring ones, though they aren't padded... hope one with a local tech college logo on it isn't too tacky for europe.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM

I tend to carry a messenger bag. It seems more secure and convenient than a backpack. It replaces my purse and also holds an umbrella, journal, novel, camera, maps and papers, small souveniers and often a water bottle. Depending on what's inside it and where I am, I either carry it across my body or just on one shoulder. It also works great for draping my jacket over to leave my hands free.

If you don't like backpacks, don't carry one. Some people swear by them, some swear at them. There are tons of options out there; find one that works best for you.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 05:58 PM

I used to carry all my and DH's "stuff" for the day (water, guidebooks/maps, light jacket, etc.) but now I have back problems that yes even that small amount of stuff will aggravate. Now I make DH carry a SMALL backpack--again only for book, water, etc. (Important things go in the money belt.) I carry the camera in a small across the shoulder bag. I don't care if he looks silly, haha. I have a small backpack I would use for hiking but generally don't need in cities.
I use a sling-type over the shoulder bag for airport travel. As I travel with a large backpack as a carry-on, this is where I keep my plane comfort essentials.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM

If I am out on a days sightseeing then yes I use a very light weight, floppy material backpack. In it I put water, maps, tissues, lip gloss and small camera. I sling it over one shoulder and hang on to the straps. I know, it looks touristy but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I also have a lightweight Tumi handbag with a front pocket that I use if I am not going for miles and miles.

Schnauzer
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM

always!!!

Except when I'm traveling on business, then I use carry on
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 07:25 AM

My husband does on one shoulder. I hate it and tell him often and he had to check it twice for museums. You see many with them, tourist as well as those on motorbikes. He needs a murse.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 07:34 AM

I have a old bag
_______
So do I and I have a backpack.

I carry my backpack wherever I go, including home and have been using one in Europe and other places for over 40 years.

I have never had a problem. Watch, today I will get mugged.

While traveling I have a camera, books, pens, and whatever my wife needs. When in large cities we love to buy different foods to have back in the room for dinner and we just throw it in the backpack.

Is it fashionable, who cares?
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 08:01 AM

DH wears a laptop backback when we travel to and from a place (example: our upcoming trip to Milan). It lets him keep a hand free for boarding/getting off the train. Once we get to the hotel, however, he doesn't use it again until we leave.

We don't carry bottles of water around or bulky cameras or guidebooks. Pretty much everything we need fits into my normal size handbag.

When our English cocker Raisin was still alive, he wore a daypack when out and about with her, as it held her water bottle, small plastic water bowl, hand towel, poop bags, and a ziploc bag with a few treats. That left his hands free to pick her up if needed.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Ugly, ugly, ugly and just asking for robbery. I wouldn't even speak to anyone wearing one.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 08:13 AM

This post is from 2008 but I'll add my answer. I just spent three weeks in Europe and two on a cruise with just a carryon bag and a Baggallini backpack purse. I got tired of hassling the suitcase, a tote and a purse, so I decided to see if I could streamline it to just one personal item on the plane. Worked perfectly and held everything I needed for the entire trip including all day trips. My hands were free (important for getting suitcases on and off trains) and the weight was distributed evenly on my back rather than offside like the usual tote and/or messenger bag.

My purse has a zipper on the backside (against the body) where I kept money and credit cards. To get into the top of the bag would not have been easy because it had a cinch strap which would have taken two hands to open. Just for extra safety, I have a small string shopping bag that I sometimes put in on top of the wallet. Anyone who stuck his/her hand in there would just get tangled in a bunch of net.

http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bag...1/product.html

http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-String-.../dp/B004C4ZH9O

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -