Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do we need to make hotel reservations in May?

Apr 9th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Ruth

Taking advantage of some cheap airfare from states to Lisbon for first week in May.
Do we need to make reservations for either Lisbon for a few days, or for any of the small towns that we plan on driving to during the week? How about our last night back in Lisbon?

Which rental agency? AutoEurope? Televan? I can get a really great deal on the car rental for three days on Televan's website.

Apr 9th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Rex

It sounds like you're familiar with the auto rental broker most often recommended here, and that maybe you've found something better? why not share with "us" why it seems better? or what are your concerns about dealing with a lesser known company?

It's all about sharing and learning here.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 9th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Maira

We didn't made reservations during a May visit to Portugal and found plenty of offerings. Make sure you go to the local Office of Tourism and you'll be amazed the little gems they can discover for you. Examples? Mid-May 1999, we found a furnished apartment, 300 meters from a gorgeous beach in Viana Do Castelo (gorgeous, seaside little town) for $35/night. We barbecued every night, had a blast. We just visited their Office of Tourism and they were more than helpful. Post if you need more details.

Apr 9th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Tom

I'd like to know more about Televan. Why DID she ask about Autoeurope if she already knows about this other company and knows that she can get a deal she really likes from them?

What IS the car rental question?

Apr 9th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Rex

Okay, I'll address the no reservationd issue - - plagiarizing myself from an earlier post.

My very biased opinion - -

having no reservations causes you to:

use up time looking for a place

lose the opportunity to research a lot of neat place in the time leading up to your trip and choose the one that best suits your personality

have a higher chance that the person at the desk when you arrive is far from the best available english speaker - - if that's important to you.

fail to find that much nicer/cheaper/prettier place that is just around the next bend, but you didn't know about it.

having reservations causes you to - -

sometimes keep on driving to reach your destination even though you are tired or hungry.

Apr 10th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Ruth

re: rental agency in portugal

to answer as to why I would ask about TELEVAN...
just found it on the internet and had never heard of this company prior. autoeurope I know is recommended...but this co. seems cheaper. thus...I am wondering if anyone has had previous experience with televan so I don't do something that I will regret later.

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:08 AM
toppers

bringing this message back up to the top.

or topping.

for Ruth.

Apr 29th, 2002, 03:29 PM
jessica

Just got back from 3 weeks in Spain and Portugal-rented a car from AutoEurope and it worked out great. $400 from Avis through AutoEurope. We used our United Airlines Gold card to pay-it was the only credit card that offered "primary" insurance vs "secondary" CDW from other cards. AutoEurope claims they will meet all lower prices. I would go with them.