Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do they really not allow children on the Scavi tour?

Jan 16th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

My children are 15, 13 and 10, are well behaved and fairly well traveled. The web site for the Scavi tour says that children under 15 are not allowed, but that some exceptions will be made for children 11-14 when with parents.

Do they enforce those rules? If I am truthful about my kids' ages, will I not be given a reservation for the tour?
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Quite honestly, the age level is probably not based on any scientific facts about children and their behavior or perhaps their attention span. And I have no doubt you would be totally honest about the children's ages.

I suspect what might "worry" the tour operator is your ability to be totally honest about your children's behavior.

Personally, I hope they DO "enforce these rules."
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hi Missy, I took my 12-year-old, no problem. The information I read said 12 and over, but I don't know. The man in the office when I checked in was pretty gruff, but didn't come outside and look at everyone in my group. I'd try it, go ahead and get the tickets and all they can do is not let you in. Jane
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM

My guess is that the rule is more about "interest level" and "appropriate behavior" than anything else. Our two 18 year old boys, raised Catholic, Catholic schools, etc. really didn't enjoy the tour much. However, they were old enough to behave even if they were bored.
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:31 PM

I also have to agree with mkdiebold in that some of our "kids" in their upper teens, thought it wasn't exactly what they thought it would be. Perhaps because our guide had such a strong accent, it was extremely hard to understand. For an hour-plus tour, the most interesting part was the last 20 min. Jane
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Personally, I think a 10-year-old, however well behaved or fairly well traveled, would be bored out of his/her gourd by the Scavi tour.

Unless you can guarantee that s/he is not going to whine with boredom for most of the tour, I would suggest that you forget the Scavi tour this time around.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:19 PM

June 2005 we took the Scavi tour with our 12 year old son and "almost" 11 year old daughter. No one questioned their ages, they were dressed neatly for respect and are extremely well behaved in public. I also noted the office help at the Scavi office were not very friendly , but our guide was wonderful. Everyone enjoyed the tour, the kids were not bored. We prepared the kids about the history so they could understand and appreciate the tour. Definitely try to get the tickets if the kids are well behaved.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Just did this a few weeks ago,
and will be covering it in my trip report, which I have started but not got to that day.

Quick answer -- Yes, they enforce it and they may change their minds at the last minute. Whether your child enjoys it or not, will really vary. Mine was interested by St. Peter's tomb but not the necropoli.