Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need waterproof hiking shoes in Iceland?

Feb 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

I have a pair of lightweight but tough hiking shoes that are not waterproof. It just dawned on me that I might want something waterproof to wear everyday in Iceland. We will be there for about a week, spending most of our time outdoors. Should I invest in a pair of waterproof hiking boots or shoes, or is that overkill? We won't be camping or (hopefully) fording any rivers or anything. Thanks in advance!
Feb 28th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Yes, I'd go ahead and get the waterproof hiking boots or shoes. I grew up north of Seattle area, doing lots of hiking and walking and it is amazing how often we appreciated our waterproof shoes. Outdoor active stuff always seems to find its way into muck and sloppy conditions - law of nature, I guess.

Best,
Julia
Feb 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM

If you're not going to be fording any rivers and you'd be buying the boots just for this trip, why not apply some waterproof treatment spray to your current shoes? I haven't been to Iceland (although we're planning to go this summer), but we've used that treatment for trips to Colorado in winter and it's worked very well.
Mar 1st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I think I am at least going to look for waterproof shoes and see if I can find some I like. My old ones have some dirt on them, so I don't know if the waterproof spray stuff will stick to them now.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
eri

From our vast experience in Iceland (and also Norway, Alaska etc.), I recommend getting shoes with Gore-Tex lining. They are sold for around 100 dollars. Since we started usind them our feet are always warm, dry and we don't sweat in them. We find them also very comfortable.
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, eri! I started shoe shopping today, keeping an eye out for Gore-Tex. I had no luck in the stores, so I ordered three pairs from Onlineshoes.com, which seemed to have a great selection of hiking shoes. Hopefully one pair will work out.
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM

I purchased a pair from Lands End that was lightweight, waterproof, and pretty easy on my wallet. Look for Squall Boots.

Enjoy Iceland. I've never been, but it's high on my list of to-dos.
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
pat

A friend used that water proof spray on stuff. (she is very cheap.). Her shoes were a wet mess. We were hiking in British columbia. She bought one of those cheap rain ponchos, too, and it too, was ruined in no time. I`m glad you are going to buy some good water proof shoes.
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM

My boots don't call themselves waterproof but they are made of leather and have lasted me for years,
I just apply dubbin to them at regular intervals.
It looks as though you can get dubbin in the US
http://www.pappysdubbin.com/
Mar 5th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Amy

On three (mostly outdoor) trips to Iceland, I didn't need waterproof shoes; I wore my cheapo LandsEnd "lightweight hikers", as they were called, with no problem. But then, everybody has a different comfort level...

Have a great time; Iceland is fantastic!