Hiking shoes for Mt. Kilimiinjaro

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son and I are hiking Mt. Killie in late May and it will be rainy and muddy most liekly! The expedition co. suggested that we wear light hiking shoes at the beginning and then Vasquez or other heavy duty boots as we get closer to the summit? Any suggestions on this from those who have climbed it before? I do exect a lot of rain and mud!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM
aby

roma_allen

I don't know about Vasquez boots,
the important specification is to have
GORE-TEX® - a water-proof breathable membrane that allows sweat to evaporate (but doesn't let water in).
All major brands(e.g. Columbia, North- Face, Scarpa, Asolo,) should have certain boot models with GT, just like many firms use Vibram sole... i reckon Vasquez would have some boots with GT too...
BTW i've bseen some other materials which should compete with GT, but don't have specific experience or feedbacks, so i'd stick with GT.

About being 'light-weight' - many good hiking boots nowadays are very light; even the Vibram soles which used to be heavy years ago, have now light-weight versions

It is really worthwhile to 'invest' in a good "foot-gear", also socks & a pair of gaiters on top of the boots

aby
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Txs! That was tons of great information!!!! I am printing it out and taking it when we go shopping for hiking shoes and boots!!!!
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 05:32 AM
aby

roma_allen

at the bottom line: buy the ones u r most comfortable with - not necessarily the most expensive or sophisticated... first get yourself a pair of good hiking socks (usually thicker than ordinary socks)& then try the shoes on.

as an alternative to GT, one can use a one-piece-leather boots which have to be waxed. (some of them r heavier than the synthetic gear )

good luck

aby
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Hi

I used some mountain boots when I went hiking on Kilimanjaro. Be prepared to get your shoes dirty by the way...the volcanic ash will make your shoes look unrecognizable Feel free to check out my trip report with pictures on http://gardkarlsen.com/kilimanjaro_index.htm . I have also written about the equipment that I used on the walk, links to other Kili reports etc. Have a great trip.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM

We went in September, so it was quite dry in most places. I'm assuming that late May will be much muddier.

I'd suggest that you go to an REI (or similar store) and let the staff help find the right boot for you. I use leather boots with Gor-tex, but others hiking with us used lighter nylon/Gor-tex boots.

Whatever you do --- Buy your boots quickly! Make sure that you've put a fair number of miles on, breaking in your boots. Not only does this help in terms of adjusting to your boot, if you find that the boot doesn't quite work for you, there is still time to get a different pair.