Do I need reservations for May/June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be doing a 2 week driving tour of Ireland beginning May 27 and ending June 9th. Do I need to make reservations at B&Bs ahead of time or will there be enough availability during these dates? I'm just not clear on my itinerary and don't want to have to be tied down to certain places on certain days unless I'm forced to. I'm going to be concentrating on the bottom half of the country, i.e. Dublin-Galway, Kilkenny, Dingle, Cork, Kenmare, Cashel, etc.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:00 PM

As has been mentioned on these boards before, a lot of it has to do with whether it's important to you to stay in town. If you plan to go to the pubs in the evenings looking for music or whatever, you're better off being in town. And, while there are lots of B&Bs in Ireland, there aren't necessarily lots that are walking distance to the pubs.

Also, the places you're planning to go are the most visited areas. And, while late May, early June may not be high season, there will be plenty of tourists around.

While I certainly understand your not wanting to be tied down, personally, I'd be nervous about not having reservations.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I may want to be in town some and out of town at other times. Frankly, I'm so overloaded with so much info from my travel book and from these boards and other websites that I'm almost to the point of being shut down, mentally. I seem to be becoming almost incapable of making any kind of rational decision!!! I do have my plane reservations taken care of, but that's about it. I think I need help......
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:53 AM

I can totally understand the information overload! It's a gift - and sometimes a curse - that there's so incredibly much available to us now, so much more than in the past. It makes for a wonderful sense of anticipation...and sometimes a need to step away from the computer/travel guide/you-name-it and take a break.

Having said that, here's what I've done to get jumpstarted in reserving B&Bs for our late August trip. For awhile now, I've been cutting and pasting specific lodging suggestions from this site and others to a word document organized by location. When life got unexpectedly hectic a month or so ago, I took a forced break from obsessive board watching, and when I returned, I realized that what I needed to do was just DO it. Once I made the first reservation (we have three of our 8 locations reserved now) I honestly felt much better! So my advice? Try to focus on one location first, send out an email to request availability (this is not a commitment) and see where it takes you. You may find that some of your choices are full...which will give you the increased sense of urgency you might need to move forward.

It sounds like you're still ambivalent about your itinerary, which of course is what's making the reservation process difficult. As tough as it is (we're doing a 2-week driving tour as well) with all the wonderful options available to you, you're probably going to be best off biting the bullet and nailing down at least a general idea of where you'll stay each night. I believe that if you loved one place so much that you wanted to stay an extra night or two, phoning ahead to cancel a reservation would not be an impossibility. Others who have made trips to Ireland in the past might have wisdom on this one.

Good luck!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:54 AM

Book ahead. You will be in tourist season and may end up with a place you really dislike rather than a nice first choice place.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:59 AM

You can get away with a book-as-you-go trip...even in high season, but you will have to accept the fact that you might find yourself spending an hour or two time searching for a place or end up at some very average B&Bs or places that are out of town...on the other hand, you might find a great place that is off the radar (however, that is less common).

If you travel this way, I suggest finding a place for the night by 3 or 4pm...whether it is in the town you are in or in the town you are heading. Don't wait until 6pm; it will only cause you stress.

It can also be a good idea to ask your B&B host to suggest a place to stay in the next town you will be traveling to...some hosts will call ahead for you).

Tourists offices can help you book rooms in any Irish town, but they probably won't be able to tell you much more than the information published (the tourist office will make the calls/reservation for you from the tourist office, which can be very nice).

I'd suggest having a guidebook (or two) with several accommodations listed for the areas on your itinerary.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:20 AM

If you're particular about our accomodations, want specific amenities or want the best choice at a good price book ASAP.

If you don;t really care where you sleep (some people feel it's only a bed) or don't mind spending vacation time looking for a place to stay - then wait.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM

I just posted about this same topic but here it is again. I prefer booking ahead for a couple of reasons. I know I have a room waiting for me so that's not weighing on me. I know it's a nice place and may be in a spectacular location. I don't have to spend time knocking on doors asking about availability.

Just as a side note, If you took the places you have listed on your note and give them each two days, you would have a pretty good itinerary.

Bill
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Are you aware there is a bank holiday on June 5? That means June 2-5 will be very busy with people from Ireland traveling too, especially to popular places like you have mentioned. There are also big concerts on in Dublin on June 9, 10 & 11. Sounds like you need reservations.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM

Book ahead, you may well hit the school half term. The last Monday in May is a holiday in UK and possibly in Ireland too. A lot of schools have that week off. Even if it is only a holiday in UK, accomodation will be busy.
Carolena
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks to all for the great advice. I'm thinking I'd better get my tail in gear and spend tonight/tomorrow making some reservations. I was not aware of the June 5 holiday, especially.
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I wouldnt even dream of going to those Counties without a reservation and I live in Dublin!...Book them now and dont leave it to chance.