Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need to make reservations for Ireland trip in May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Ireland on May 19th-30th. We have made our reservations in Dublin. We will be renting a car and driving around the South and West part of the Country for 8 days. Is it necessary make reservations at B&Bs? While I usually like the idea of knowing where I am sleeping, I think the flexibilty of traveling at our leisure sounds nice. Are there plenty of rooms available at this time of year?
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:35 AM

There is no need for reservations in May (or June, for that matter). There would be an exception for local festivals.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:11 AM

We traveled Ireland without reservations on late May as well as in late October and as Padraig says we only encountered a problem in one town that was hosting a music festival.

We love the freedom of leaving an area we find less interesting to linger longer in one that catches our fancy, something we couldn't do if we had to follow a set schedule base on a planned itinerary with paid for reservations.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 01:51 AM

Padraig writes: "...exception for local festivals." Ennis' Fleadh Nua should be ending Sat., 29 or Sun., 30 May. If you want to participate, you should have reservations during that week.
That's the only one I can think of during that time frame.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the information on Ennis' Fleadh Nua. So, what is the best way to make reservations once over there? Should I have a book or something, or a list of b&b's with their phone numbers?
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 11:32 AM

knwolf writes: "Should I have a book or something, or a list of b&b's with their phone numbers?

Exactly the way I do it: buy an Eircom Phone Card (the kind with the I/C visible on the card) at my first convenience store stop and call numbers I got from the Internet. I find that calling a day early (i.e., this morning for tomorrow night) usually works. The Phone Cards are available in 2-denominations and they work in any Blue Kiosk phone in the Republic. I think they're the most inexpensive way to go.

If you plan to sleep in Ennis, you might try the Old Ground Hotel or the Temple Gate Hotel. Either of them may have a vacancy during Fleadh Nua week.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help NedsIreland! I really appreciate you time in helping me plan my trip.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 07:46 PM

i guess if you want to play it by ear - no reservations necessary -- but if you're driving alot -- and you're tired -- knowing where you are staying is sometimes a good idea....me--i'd make reservations - but alot of people - choose to play it by ear...
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 11:02 PM
tod

I go along with Irishgal127A and the fact I like to know where I'm putting my head down for the night, BUT, as Celticharper points out, it really isn't necessary. Even if you pulled up to a B&B that was full I am pretty sure they have a long list of others in the area and will point you in the right direction! (probably even telephone to find out who has an empty room). I call Ireland the B&B Capital of the World!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:56 PM

I found most B&B's required you called the day before to confirm you were coming -- at least the ones we stayed at did --

We have a blackberry verizon phone and got a 'worldwide' access thru verizon - and used that phone to make calls -- was NOT alot for a 1-2 min. calls the few times we used - that way folks from the states could 'call us' if needed and we set times up for calls before we went --

another thing we did -- was took the laptop - and set up everyone's account on emails - and sent updates to all on a daily/semi daily routine - it was great - everyonen felt like they saw ireland with us -- had lots of positive response to that - and most places had wi-fi!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:16 PM

You can get a free book of B&B's from the Irish Tourist Board (Bord Failte) in advance, or pick one up at the airport for a few euros. Or, if you have a laptop while you are there, go to www.townandcountry.ie to see listings. I like to have my reservations all made in advance, but I know not everyone is like that. We have stayed at some nice places unexpectedly. (We once had a penthouse suite at a hotel in Cork for the same price as a B&B. I had been thinking earlier that night that I would be sleeping in the car.)
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:56 PM

A tip that no one has mentioned so far -- Most larger towns have Tourist Information offices that will reserve a room for you. They charge 2 or 3 Euro for the service and also collect 10% of the booking as a deposit ( but I SUSPECT it is really their commision )

You can avail yourself of this service if you think that you might be arriving at your destination later than 4 or 5 PM and don't want to be wandering about, trying to find a place to stay.

Normally (even in June) I start looking for a place about 2 or 3 PM.

Bob
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 06:36 PM

We booked Ireland in advance for last June and saved all sorts of $ by booking special online deals at sites like hotels.com and booking.com. The places were quite nice and the breakfasts tasty and were booked at Motel 6 prices. Paying in advance at such sites is of course a hedge against currency fluctuations, and you avoid the 2-3% foreign purchase charge to your Visa or MC.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 10:31 AM

we found most b&b's wanted a check for deposit in advance and cash day of --

not many took our visa's