Distilled water for CPAP machine

Mar 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Distilled water for CPAP machine

My husband and I will be in Paris for one week. I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and will need to buy distilled water for the humidifier. Does anyone know if this is easily purchased in a grocery store? Thanks.
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:53 AM

You won't find distilled water in a grocery store or supermarket (only mineral water). The place to go is a pharmacie, and you should ask for eau distillée.
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM

You can find distilled water suitable for things like irons in the supermarket. If it has to be medical grade, go to a pharmacy and ask them.
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:12 PM

One other thing: I assume you've looked into the electrical power issue for making a CPAP run abroad?
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM

My bil, who uses a CPAP, says that they are dual voltage these days.
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I hadn't thought of a pharmacy. I usually pack a few water bottles with distilled water in my carryon so I don't have to worry about locating water the first day or so, but I know at some point I'll have to buy some. Appreciate the advice. My CPAP is dual voltage so I'll just need a plug adaptor and will bring an extension cord in case the outlet isn't close enough to the bed to reach.
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM

The supermarket-grade water for steam irons and the like is eau demineralisee. I've long assumed this was distilled water, but maybe it's not. (The label says for "cleaning.") Go to a Paris pharmacy with some literature from your machine and ask.
Mar 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Hi, My husband also uses cpap, and we just went to Paris last fall. You can use tap water in your humidifier for that short of time. In fact my husband uses tap water all the time. Humidity is not particulate, so it cannot carry bacteria etc. The only problem would be if you dumped the humidifier in your mask and inhaled it! I think the only problem with tap water is it can causes the metalic parts to rust faster. Also that water is going to be heavy in your carry on! Also the standard currency adapter worked just fine for us. Did you know that your cpap can be brought on as a carry on and it does not "count" as one because it is a medical device? (I am a Respiratory therapist) Have a wonderful time in Paris. And I am proud of you for taking your cpap with you! Some people either don't use it enough at home, or refuse to take it with them!
Mar 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Here's one French-language site that suggests that eau demineralisee does have pharmaceutical uses, but it also mentions eau ultra-pure for pharmaceutical uses, apparently water in a higher realm.

http://www.lenntech.com/fran%E7ais/e...ineralisee.htm

This is why I think a French pharmacist will be your best source of information. Providing information is one of their main functions.

Mar 6th, 2006, 02:07 PM

vanne,

Do you live in a dry climate at home? You might find that the climate in Paris is humid enough that you don't need the humidifier at all.
Mar 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
rex

I vote to listen to peppermintpatti - - her reply is the right mix of scientifically accurate, and practical common sense.

Best wishes,

Rex