Discounted to Free Honeymoon trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any ideas on how a young couple going to be married April,2005, with very little funds, could swing a honeymoon?

The young man has had some tough times struggling as a musician making very little money, and just now going through radiation treatments. He didn't know that he would fall in love and decided that he would make the marriage commitment. His fiance has some funds, but the young man is deeply in debt (musical equipment, and all)and has really never been anywhere.

It would be so great to have them go on a real honeymoon to somewhere really nice,-- Hawaii would be nice. This young man is my son, and I have been supporting him whenever I can, but cannot do much anymore. He is so- very talented, and has been recognized for it, but things just aren't happening quickly enough so that he could receive enough money to give his fiance and him a really nice honeymoon.

Just asking if anyone has any ideas about this.

Thanks.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:17 AM
cmt

The US travel forum, rather than this Europe travel forum, would have more info re bargain places in Hawaii. But if you just want other suggestions requiring no expertise about Hawaii, mine would be: (1) you might give them the honeymoon as a gift, or (2) they might have their honeymoon someplace pleasant and enjoyable and not expensive right near where they live, without having to travel far.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:31 AM

I recently saw on a morning show segment where they now have honeymoon registries - like gift registries, but for the honeymoon. You might want to do a google search on that for more info.

Also, Priceline has some very well priced vacation packages. You just purchase them - no bidding.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 08:17 AM
ira

It is possible for the young couple to set up housekeeping and go on a honeymoon when they can afford it.

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:06 AM

I sort of agree with Ira. Especially if your son has cancer . . . he and his fiance may want to travel when he is feeling better. The memories will be nicer!

With all due respect, people with very limited funds should not conceive of traveling to places like Hawaii for a honeymoon . . . after all, the honeymoon should be about the celebration of the marriage and not about having an ocean-front villa. I know you want a nice trip for your son, but reality will probably dictate where they go.

Know that I am praying for more fortunate circumstances for your son!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 09:14 AM

I have seen couples register for a honeymoon before, though I don't know if they actually received many donations in lieu of traditional wedding gifts.

What about a weekend package at a nice hotel within driving distance of where the couple will live? A weekend at the Four Seasons or a similar-caliber hotel would make a very special "mini-honeymoon" and then the couple could go somewhere more exotic for their 1 year (or 2 year, or 5 year) wedding anniversary.

I was married last summer (turned 25 last autumn), and we were blessed to go on a very nice honeymoon. Many of my friends that have gotten married in the past 2 years have done just what I described - a short special weekend close to home and then a real trip later. Thus far, I have heard nothing bad or regretful from them at all re: their choice!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Sorry about your son having cancer. Hope he beats it.

Suggest that they just go on a small trip nearby and when circumstances and finances allow, go on the real honeymoon later. A big trip honeymoon is not mandatory, just something romantic and memorable. He is a musician so he must be creative. I'm sure he could come up with something memorable (writing a song just for her for their honeymoon?).
I have had several friends do the delayed honeymoon. Sometimes, the one year anniversary is the honeymoon. I even know a couple who could not afford a honeymoon until five years later!

If they have some flexibility, the couple can check out various airline sites and sites like site59.com and 11thhourvacations.com for last minute deals.
Another avenue to explore is the possibility of a friend/relative giving the couple frequent flyer tickets as wedding gifts. And if free hotel nights can be gifted via hotel points, that would also help. How you would go about looking into this without seeming crass, I have no idea. Maybe just mention it in casual conversation?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Oh, forgot to add, the couple SHOULD NOT put themselves into financial distress for the honeymoon. That is not a good way to start a marriage. Do only what can be easily afforded.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your help and suggestions.