Search

Disaster waiting to happen?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disaster waiting to happen?

Greetings All,
My wife and I are thinking of flying to Athens with our small tent in late May '05, renting a car, and motoring around Greece for 6-7 days finding campgrounds along the way. With no language skills or experience in Greece, do any experienced travellers out there forsee problems with this unplanned trip? If not, suggestions on heading North or South or both? Thanks very much. Brian
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:56 AM

My sister and her husband used to do this when they lived in Germany. I think lots of Europeans vacation this way. Your experience would probably be enhanced a lot, though, if you get a book that tells you where you might find camp sites and what they are like. Have fun. You know, 6-7 days will barely make a dent.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:58 AM

We've never done the camping thing in Greece, but we found fewer people who spoke English there than almost anywhere else in Europe. And the language is impossible to understand going in cold.

At least with Latin-based languages or German you can probably figure things out, but we found it really was all 'Greek' to us.

If you're the adventurous sort, it will probably fulfill your expectations and give you lots of great stories for years to come.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:33 AM

I wouldn't hesitate.

And you will find the people even with no English/Greek, can't be more hospitable.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:26 PM

If you are young and flexible you will really enjoy this, based on stories I've heard from European friends who did this in their youth. However, you will be sorry that you only went for a week, really sorry.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:01 AM

I have to agree with the other posters.6-7 days for touring and camping? I think you'll loose too much precious time. I would choose 2 places max. and from there have some trips with the car.
One suggestion: Go to Elafonissos! It's a tiny island south of Peloponese, you take the boat and in 15min. you're there. LOVELY BEACH!!!! The Camping there is called 'simos'.
(Don't mix it with 'elafonissi' which is in Crete).