Disappointing experience at Posthotel Partenkirchen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember when, if ever, I've posted a negative hotel review. However, I recently had such a disappointing experience at this hotel that I wanted to post this, in case any other Fodorites are planning to stay at this hotel in the near future.

After researching hotels in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in numerous guidebooks and consulting several websites (including this one), I decided several months in advance to make a reservation at the Posthotel Partenkirchen, based on several factors. First, it was widely reviewed as being an excellent hotel. Second, its restaurant and bar were very well reviewed in several guidebooks and websites, and I was looking forward to trying some of its Bavarian specialties and hearing some live music there. Third, it supposedly offered room service, which I sometimes enjoy as a special treat when on vacation (ah, breakfast in bed). In addition, the location was good, it was historic and sounded like it had a lot of local character, the price for a single was reasonable, it took credit cards, and it offered hair dryers in the room (lately, I try to stay in hotels that have them so that I don't have to pack mine).

Just for the record, I don't consider myself to be a terribly particular traveller. I've camped, I've hostelled, I've travelled throughout Europe, Latin America, South Africa, Australia & NZ, Thailand, etc.

When I arrived at the hotel in late afternoon/early evening, I was met by a sign on the front desk written in German and English, stating that the hotel's credit card machine was not working and that they required all guests to pay in cash. This was disappointing, and would some logistical maneuvers, as (1) for some unknown reason my ATM card had not worked at any of the 5 machines I had tried since arriving in Germany that day (in the Munich airport, the Munich train station, or the ATMs I had passed in Garmisch-Partenkirchen on the way to the hotel); and (2) the cost of the hotel was such that once I did find an ATM in which my card would work, I would have to go to it multiple times, since I am limited in the amount I can withdraw each day. Fortunately I did have sufficient cash in my account, and did later manage to find an ATM in which my card would work. The woman working the front desk when I checked in (who seemed to be the only hotel employee there at the time) did not speak English, and unfortunately I speak very little German other than a few basic phrases. She could, however, understand some English, and when I checked in I said hopefully that maybe by the time I checked out 3 days later the credit card machine would be working. "Nein, nein, nein," she replied as she shook her head emphatically. I thought this was curious. While she searched for my reservation and got the key for my room, I perused the "Guest Comment" book on the desk, which indicated that the credit card machine had not been working for quite some time, to the disappointment of quite a few guests.

I was given the key to room 50, which was on the 4th floor. Unfortunately the elevator was not working. So I struggled up several long flights of stairs with my bags. Fortunately I am a fairly light packer and travel with only 2 carry-on sized bags. There was no one to assist with baggage. In fact, the hotel was so dark and quiet the whole time I was there that it was eerie. I never saw more than 2 employees in the entire hotel.

My room was a very small single, completely panelled in an attractive, rustic wood. The room was basically fine other than having somewhat dirty, worn-out blue carpeting which was fraying and had holes in places. The room looked out over a small overgrown garden which I'm sure was lovely at one time, but was now simply unkempt. The bathroom was in need of updating, an unattractive pink, but worked just fine. The room had a minibar which had a list of the many contents it was supposed to contain and the cost of each, but in actuality the minibar contained virtually nothing -- a bottle of water and a couple of sodas, nothing else.

While I was somewhat disappointed in the room, I was so exhausted after my lengthy journey from Washington DC to Heathrow to Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, with virtually no sleep, that the thought of dragging my luggage back down all those stairs and trying to explain to the woman who didn't speak English that I was going elsewhere and then looking for somewhere else to stay did not appeal. All I really wanted was a bed. So I decided to stick it out, and simply fell asleep.

The next morning I woke up rested and hopeful, and dialed the number indicated on the phone for the hotel's restaurant to order some room service. There was no answer. So I called the front desk and was told, "No restaurant, kitchen broken." Great. Since my rate included breakfast, this was not good. Took a shower and realized there was no hair dryer in the room. Called down to the front desk and asked for a hair dryer, but the woman first couldn't understand me, then said, "OK, I will bring." After it failed to appear, I called the front desk again 15 minutes later, but she just said, "Nein." Since it was cold and wet outside, I was not looking forward to going out for breakfast with wet hair, but oh well.

I went downstairs, and on the way ran into another couple who said they were going to breakfast. I said that I had been told the kitchen was closed, and they said that while it was true that the restaurant was closed and there was no room service, there was still breakfast downstairs. I would not have known this if I had not run into them, nor would I have found the breakfast room, which was quite removed from the front desk, with no signs. In the end, breakfast was fine and I was relieved not to have to go out in the rain. On my way back up to my room, I noticed a different woman at the front desk and asked her for a hair dryer, and she found one for me. When I asked her if the restaurant or bar would be open later that day or the next, she said no, the kitchen was "broken."

As I had been told, when I checked out of the hotel 3 days later, I was required to pay in cash. Neither the hotel's restaurant nor bar were open at all the whole time I was there, although the restaurant's menu was posted in front of the hotel. The elevator never worked.

Overall, I had a lovely time on my trip, but I would not recommend the Posthotel Partenkirchen at this time. I'm sure it was once wonderful, and probably will be again, someday. It does have a lot of character, and a pretty good location. But if you are going there any time soon and want a place with the amenities and service it claims to have but lacked when I was there (elevator, room service, restaurant, minibar, ability to accept credit cards, hair dryer in the room), I would look somewhere else, as I'm sure there must be better values for money in the area. Right now it certainly does not rate the 4 stars it claims.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:05 AM

What an awful experience! I can't help wondering whether the credit-card machine will EVER be working again; it sure saves the hotel money not to take the cards.

We stayed at the same hotel back in l988, and is was fine then--although we were able to get a room in the modern extension, which was considerably nicer than the one we were shown in the original building.

I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience. That's no way to start a trip.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:07 AM

Lisa,
Most unfortunate, as I think that is the most friendly part of all Germany.
The Gasthof Fraundorfer was absolutely great in Sept 02 - the restaurant was filled with folks from all over the world - most spoke some German - and we all spent about 5 hours enjoying a mini O'Fest - Far better than the formal in Munchen that year!
Don't give up on the area.
M
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:39 AM

Lisa, what an unfortunate, disappointing experience. I hope your post will steer potential guests away from such a horrid establishment.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Don't worry, I actually loved the area. I was fortunate to have a clear day the following day for going to the top of the Zugspitze, and loved touring Schloss Linderhof and Neuschwanstein. I also subsequently had a great time in Salzburg and Munich. What amazing cities! This hotel was really the only disappointment in an otherwise terrific trip, and the hotel wasn't even awful, just disappointing.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:47 AM

Hi Lisa,
If you loved Mad Ludwig's monsters (Linderhof und Neuschwanstein),
the best is Castle Burg Eltz on the Moseltal just W of Koblenz, IMHO.
M
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I saw Burg Eltz many years ago (10? 12?) and loved it!

I was actually shocked at how small Linderhof was (I mean the actual living quarters, not the massive grounds). It was lovely, and the perfect size for a recluse. I think having a wonderful tour guide there really added to the experience.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:03 PM

Interesting. I almost stayed at the Posthotel last week. I was driving from Schwangau to Berchtesgaden and got lost trying to get out of Partenkirchen, so on the spur of the (frustrating) moment I decided to spend the night there. Posthotel quoted 95 euro for a single. I said thanks but no thanks and tried a couple of other places, ending up at the Schatten Hotel, maybe two blocks away. This place was fantastic! Obviously remodeled with huge rooms in beautiful light wood, with one wall entirely windows and a door leading onto a terrace with a great view of the surrounding mountains. Brand new enormous bathroom with hair dryer, of course. Great breakfast and the people could not have been friendlier. But they did want payment in cash - 50 euro for a single, 65 for doubles. If you go back - I know I will - check it out.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM

Message: We stayed at the POST for the first time in 1988 and then again in 1991. Both times were great and the hotel was full. We then took friends back in 1997 and things were "not so great". We noticed the changes, but not the friends as it was their first time. We stayed again there in 2001 and again it was heading downhill. Not the same place as 1988.

Disappointing as we enjoyed the hotel, the rooms and the restaurant. Your post shows me that my impression of decline was correct. Sad.

Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM

Looking up on the net, I looks as though the Posthotel has changed hands. It used to be under Posthotel chain, but it's now under new ownership of Lamm Privathotel consortium http://www.privathotel.net/
Perhaps it's having a teething problem and you have stayed at a bad time. I do hope that this historical inn, dating from 1542, will regain its former reputation under new management.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Hmm. Maybe that would explain at least some of the problems it's having, if they're in the midst of a transition to new ownership. I did notice that the version of their website that I looked at when I made my reservation no longer seems to exist.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:53 PM

So sorry to hear about the hotel - we have stayed several times and it is one of my favorite in Germany - rooms, restaurant, personnel - it has always been great. We spent 3 days including Christmas Eve and Day last year and the staff went out of their way to make our holidays special.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:39 PM
bonniebroad

May I ask what you who have stayed at Posthotel Partenkirchen paid for your rooms there? And when you found so many things not as advertised, did you ask for a discounted rate? Thanks.........