Direct flights from Detroit to Europe?

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Direct flights from Detroit to Europe?

Broad range I know! Our trip is still in the very early stages so we're open to ideas. I know we can fly direct to Rome on Alitalia or to Frankfurt on Lufthsana - any others?

We're looking for mid to western European cities. A comfortable flight is the goal as well as reasonable prices.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM

We often fly Northwest out of Detroit directly to Paris and have always had great experiences on the Airbus 320.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 03:04 PM

We have flown Northwest/KLM Detroit to/from Amsterdam. No problem!
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM

I've flown on Northwest / KLM non-stop from Detroit to Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt and Paris within the last few years. All were great flights - I agree that non-stop is the way to go!
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Ditto on DTW to AMS on KL/NW. I'll be on the bird again Friday night. Take the latest flight so you can sleep.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM

Are you really considering Alitalia as an option?
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:28 AM

DTW is a major hub for NW/KL so, as others have noted, you have a lot of choices of nonstops.

I'd ask the same question as greg. Alitalia may have 9 lives, but I wouldn't consider it until their fate is determined one way or the other.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM

Check the NWA vacations site too. Often their airfares are lower and you can get the lower fare just by booking two nights hotel and be on your own after.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

In response to the Alitalia questions.....God no!!!! Which is why I am asking about other direct flights. If I booked through them I'd be a nervous wreck for the next year.

Thanks for the responses. My only concern with NWA was that the planes would be small and uncomfortable. Do they have the video screens in each headrest and the leg room I've heard about with Lufthansa?
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:17 AM

My wife and I just returned from Paris on NWA on what was a very impressive flight. I am 6 feet 2 inches, so leg room is always a problem. However, after the stock market debacle and bearing in mind the time of year, I'll bet the plane will not be full. The plane was an Airbus 330 and had TV sets on every seat. The food was even quite good. As a Canadian, I'll be flying NWA again.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Air France non stop to Paris

Northwest non stop to Paris

British Air non stop to london

I recommend BA for flights to Paris. One connection in Paris.

I have flown NWA and AF to Paris, both did a great job.

And our new terminal is fantastic. So it's not too bad getting there early and hanging out. The new Westin at the Terminal is really nice and worth staying at if you have an early flight.

I wish I was going to Paris.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 08:42 AM

I don't think Alitalia actually flies from DTW. Perhaps they did at one point, but not now that I can see.

And, BA no longer flies to Detroit. This flight used to operate to provide one-stop service between Houston and Heathrow, since they were barred from adding non-stop service to Houston until OpenSkies. Once OpenSkies came about, there was no need for the Detroit flight and it was cancelled.

I believe the non-stop flights are limited to:

>Amsterdam - KLM & Northwest
>Paris - Northwest and Air France
>London - Northwest
>Frankfurt - Northwest & Lufthansa

However, bear in mind that you can connect to virtually anywhere in Europe, if you fly via Amsterdam. And Amsterdam is probably the best airport in Europe, and better than anything in the US (except maybe DTW) for a connection. While some will go out of their way to avoid connecting, it is certainly a viable option.

My only concern with NWA was that the planes would be small and uncomfortable. Do they have the video screens in each headrest and the leg room I've heard about with Lufthansa?

This depends upon the plane. To AMS, there are 5 flights per day. One flight is on a 747, another flight is on a 757, two are on an A330, and one more is currently operated by KLM on a 777. Heathrow and Paris see the A330, and Gatwick sees the 757.

> The 747 is an older plane with limited legroom and no in-seat video.
> The 757 is an older plane without in-seat video, but it has had a couple of rows of seats removed and the legroom is 2 to 3" greater than on other carriers. I just flew this plane and the extra legroom was noticeable and appreciated.
> The A330 is a great plane. The legroom is a bit better than average, though not as universally good as the 757. The seating arrangement is 2-4-2, which is nice. And their is on-demand video at each seat, along with power ports in the front half of the plane. This is my favorite trans-Atlantic plane of any carrier.
> The KLM 777 is nothing special, but has the AVOD. Seat pitch is tight.

Air France will be similar in comfort to the NW A330. Lufthansa is on an A330 and has AVOD, but they squeeze the legroom more than NW or AF.

As for service, all the carriers mentioned above have pretty similar offerings, with free booze, lousy food, etc.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Why do you think the NW planes would be smaller? They fly the 330 (I said 320 before, but I probably meant 330) and they were purchased about 4 years ago so are all relatively new.

Yes, they have backseat video and I think the choice is huge and better than any other carrier I've used for overseas flights (I would never fly USAirways again due to the lousy choice of movies, unless they offered me a free ticket).

Food is as good as any other carrier.

To the person above who said they'd fly BA over NW, I believe you asked for non-stop and all BA flights will stop in London. We are still using up BA miles so fly them frequently to Paris, as well and they are excellent. But from Detroit you 'll have to take a regional carrier to the east coast or chicago, then change in Philly, so you're three flights to get to Paris, Amsterdam or anywhere other than London on BA.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 01:10 PM

BA does not fly to Detroit anymore.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM

travelgourmet, I don't know if you're referring to my post just above yours, but that's why I said if the OP took BA she'd have to make three stops: regional to east coast, BA to London, BA on to final destination.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Yes, I've done the Detroit to Paris and the Detroit to Amsterdam flights with Northwest/KLM. No problems and loved the back of the seat entertainment center. I connect from Nashville to Detroit and the new terminal is very nice with lots of places to eat and shop to pass the time. Customs is usually pretty well organized.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM

MelJ: Didn't read it right. I only saw the connect in London part. Sorry.