Notices

Dining in london

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Steve

Dining in london

What are some of the good restaurants in London? It should be very nice and glamorous but doesn't have to be a top notch 5 star restaurant. Just something where you can feel the london spirit and know that you are in London. Is there such a place?

Old May 15th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Toppin' and answerin'

Even if this is not entirely original...

Stefano Cavallini Restaurant at the Halkin

Halkin Hotel, 5-6 Halkin Street, SW1 (020 7333 1234/1000) Hyde Park Corner tube. Lunch 12.30-2.30pm Mon-Fri. Dinner 7.30-10.30pm Mon-Sat; 7-10pm Sun. Average £50. Set lunch £23 three courses. Set dinner £55 six courses. Credit AmEx, DC, JCB, MC, £TC, V.

One of London's very finest. Expect profound flavours, culinary skill and a refined light touch in understated, elegant surroundings. The set lunch is one of the best deals in town.

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:59 PM
JOdy

Our very favorite London restaurant La Famiglia, at worlds end , Langston Place(?). Wonderful Tuscan food, exceptional service, pleasant surroundinds, charming hosts, I have sat next to Princess diana, Nicole and Tom , prince michael of kent. and everyday tourists like us. everyone is treated the same. We love it , the food is excellent!!Prices are not out of sight and you will be one of the family!

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:27 PM
kam

A bit touristy, but still a London experience is Rules. Or you could try Simpsons in the Strand. You asked for traditional, right?

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:33 PM
JOdy

Went to simpsons with friends, native Londoners who hadn't been there for years, were EXTREMELY disappointed and they were mightily embarassed. Service was awful at the best, food mediocre, all together a disappointing evening. ! Couldn't even get our bill without waiting!!

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Sanji

What about London pie? Do they have good London Pie?

Old May 17th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Linda

After living one hour from London for over seven years, I'm really embarassed to be asking this question, but WHAT is London Pie?

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:32 AM
sylvia

It'll be yer pie as in pie and mash. Loverly grub!
Have a look at http://www.cockney.co.uk/pie&mash.htm

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Karen

Don't think you'd be disappointed in The Ivy...make reservations before you leave home.

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Alan

My favorite London restaurant is The Sugar Club. It's in Soho, best reached by the Oxford Circus Tube stop. The chef is Australian, and food is marvelous and original. Reservations are essential. Le Caprice (Green Park tube) is stylish with food to match. Again, reserve. An off beat dining experience is Wodka, which serves contemporary Polish cuisine. It's in a lovely neighborhood in Kensington. I love the River Cafe in Hammersmith. It's a long tube right out to Hammersmith, and you may need a cab to return. The River Cafe rightfully has a reputation as the finest contemporary Italian restaurant in Europe (outside of Italy, of course). Reservations are essential. We had a great lunch there, and returning from the Hammersmith tube was a breeze.

Old May 18th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Linda

OK, I went to Pie and Mash, and I've heard of all those pies, steak & kidney, shepards, eel, etc. But is that London Pie?

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:53 AM
lydia

I always recommend Mirabelle to visitors who are looking for good food and great ambience. It's part of Marco Pierre White's empire which means that the food and service is of a consistently high standard. Prices are reasonable for this class of London restaurant (about £40 per head without drinks) and the atmosphere is definitely glamorous and elegant without being formal. A meal here definitely makes you feel you're very much part of the London restaurant scene.

Old May 19th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Harrison

London Pie? Hmmmmmmm, is that like peach cobler in Atlanta? Gotta try it! Next time I go to London, I'll ask for London Pie and see what happens!