Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

OK...so I fly into Paris and get off the plane alone...

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Scott

I get off the plane in Paris at 6:30 PM Paris time, and I have 3 days to spend there...alone.

What do I do? Where do I go? What do I see? Are there other Americans to be found easily who would accept me into their fold for some sightseeing?

This whole alone-in-Europe thing is starting to make me nervous...

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Rex

This isn't really an answer to your question, but an attempt to understand your trip - - is it ONLY three days in Europe? or is there more?

Since you're arriving at 6:30 pm, apparently you're not arriving on a trans-atlantic flight. I have never heard of a trans-atlantic flight in Paris at night (though I am not entirely sure about the Concorde - - but it's not flying again yet, right?)

Though this doesn't entirely answer your question, I would recommend a (half-day?) "introduction to Paris" bus tour - - and surely you'll meet other Americans on the bus - - it's up to you to make some acquaintances. I have never actually taken such a bus trip, but my parents did one upon their arrival day in Paris, and they thought it was very good. there are various companies who provide such tours.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Deb

Scott, don't know how old you are and what you enjoy doing but I agree with Rex to start with a 1/2 day tour where you would meet some other people and get the lay of the land. After that go to Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay etc. there is so much to keep you busy or just sit at an outdoor cafe and watch people go by.

I went alone last year and really enjoyed it. I did meet up for dinner with another person from this forum that was also traveling alone so maybe you want to post something here with your dates. If you make the effort to strike up conversation with other travelers you will probably find someone to hang with.

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Lauren

I have been to Paris many times solo and there is nothing to fear. If you do not speak French, get a phrase book. I certainly use one in Germany because my German--despite a knowledge of Yiddish cuss words--is pretty much a joke. If you get stuck, look for a young person to help you out. English is a required subject in the schools and they all know some.

Now, if you venture into the provinces, there are areas where finding an English speaker would be more difficult, but, in Paris--no problem.

You will have a wonderful trip!

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Christina

If you have only three days there, don't worry, you won't have trouble filling them. Just hang around the center of Paris, you'll find lots to see and plenty of other tourists -- the central islands on the Seine can easily fill one day (Notre Dame, Sainte Chappelle, Conciergerie, etc), plus just walking around there and along the Seine, have a drink in a cafe, etc. Another day walk around Eiffel Tower, there's a nice park there, browze the souvenir stands near Bir Hakeim metro, even walk across the Seine to the Trocadero on the other side, and then to Arc de Triomphe and down the Champs-Elysees. This doesn't even consider several good museums around the center city, if you like them, and sitting in a park a bit (Tuileries or Luxembourg Gardens). Anyway, there will be tons of Americans around there, but you shouldn't need to worry about tours too much; you might want to get a ticket on the Open Tour bus if it's good weather, that's a hop-on, hop-off bus that goes around Paris to all the main tourist sites with one ticket, you can enjoy the view and see a lot relaxing. Oh, if you run out of things to do central, definitely go up to Montmartre and see Sacre Coeur and that area; that's at least 1/2 day or more. One of the most unimaginative travelers I have known was a (former) boyfriend of mine who was Scottish--he was in Paris for several days or a week and said he couldn't figure out what to do and was bored so he just walked up and down the Champs-Elysees a lot. I don't think he understood the concepts of guidebooks --oh, BTW, get a good guidebook, it will give you lots of ideas of things to see.