Dining in Edinburgh

Old May 5th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Linda

Dining in Edinburgh

We arrive in Edinburgh one week from today. Any suggestions on a great pub for dinner?

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Paul

I stayed in the Grassmarket on my last trip to Edinburgh and liked the pubs there. The Last Drop served a decent dinner and was a good hang out at night. <BR>The Beehive had a good breakfast and lunch. Rafters is the restaurant upstairs at the Beehive and I thought their food was very good. Great atmosphere too. The Witchery (very near the Castle) is a nice restaurant that has never disappointed me.

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Jody

Withchery is very nice. Martins, in Rose lane North ( I'llpost correct address later. is superb! But certainly NOT a pub. However an exceptionla meal there probably wouldn't cost much more than a moderate one at a pub. I am not a great admirer of pubs per se, especially at dinner.

Old May 5th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Lauren

The Witchery is very expensive and is a "big splurge" restaurant and not a pub by any means (although good for a big splurge). The price is big splurge as well. <BR> <BR>The Grassmarket has nice restaurants and pubs as does Rose Street in the New Town. <BR> <BR>I love Edinburgh. Have a great trip!

Old May 5th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Danna

Stac Polly on Dublin Street is wonderful! Not a pub but great Scottish food, make reservations tho. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!

Old May 5th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Jody

The correct address is Rose Street, North lane. North lane and South lane are little U shaped alleys that run off off Rose St, which is parralel to Princes St , believe me Martins is worth the hunt.we really need MEL here to answer this question. MEL WHERE ARE YOU?????????

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Mel

I am absolutely drawing a blank on restaurant names, EXCEPT one favorite place we visit each time: La Bon Vie is a wonderful french restaurant on, I think, Dalkeith Road. Monday thru Thursday they offer a 9 lb 3-course meal that is much more (but worth it) on the weekends. Can't believe how great the selection is. My favorite appetizer is the wild game terrine. They use truffles and seven kinds of wild game. Generous portion, fabulous flavor. A lamb chop main course and ANY of their desserts are great. There's also an Italian restaurant that just opened last year, but I'll have to look it up in my "stuff" to get the name. It's probably time I get this stuff out and keep a list.

Old May 17th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Mary P.

Although you have probably left already, perhaps others will benefit from my comment. We had the most wonderful dinner at Haldane's on Albany Street...a bit of a splurge but this basement townhouse restaraunt was so charming, the food and wine so delicious, that it was worth every pound. It was very quiet on a Tuesday night in December but as dinner proceeded the place started filling with many people from the hospitality industry in Edinburgh who were IN THE KNOW about a great place to eat.