family trip to Iceland

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:12 PM
joyce

family trip to Iceland

We're planning a family trip to Iceland at the end of August, which includes a five day tour with rafting, horseback riding, whale watching, etc. How many days should we stay in Rekjavik afterwards? What day trips are worthwhile? My kids are 16 and 12.

Old May 16th, 2001, 02:51 AM
nancy

Joyce,
there is a woman on this board, named Amy, who started a thread
100 things to do in Iceland (I think)
Amy may be away right now.
Have you tried asearch?
Type in the word Iceland in the Text Search Box, and wait a few mins. til it loads.
If that does not bring it up, type in her name, in the box, and it will bring up all posts she has responed to.
The thread was very informative.
Have fun!

Old May 16th, 2001, 03:31 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Quick question: Are none of the activities you presently have planned based out of Reykjavik at this point?

Old May 16th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Amy

Nope, not away yet, I'm afraid--just involved in those last few weeks of school with a cultural fair thrown in for good measure. Reykjavik itself is "doable" in just a couple of days, but of course it's the base for the "Golden Circle" tour which includes some fascinating geographical sites and the best spot for going to the Blue Lagoon. I'd
suggest Thingvellir and hiking in Thorvald, plus snowmobiling on the glacier, if that's not already included in your tour. Please feel free to email me at the above address if you have any specific questions. I can't guarantee that I'll have all the answers, but I'll do my best!

Old May 16th, 2001, 03:32 PM
nancy

Amy,
Have a good time when you do depart.
May/June is a crazy time if you are involved in school, whether as a student, teacher, or even a parent!

Old May 16th, 2001, 05:25 PM
juli

IMHO you only need a day in Rekjavik, but an extra one to recuperate from all the outdoorsy stuff probably wouldn't be all bad! Please post a trip report--I have been to Iceland three times but not for many years and am trying very hard to convince my husband that we need to go there!!! Have fun--

Old May 17th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Pedro

Iceland is definitely NATURE and wherever you go you will do it through magnificent landscapes. Must sees could be Gullfoss Waterfall, Geysir geothermal area, Thingvellir National Park ( Great area to hike around ), Reykjanes tip for birdwatching ( were there almost alone in August ), Skogafoss waterfall near Vik, Snowmobiling in Hofn ( Vatnajokull glacier ). I would only spend half day in Reykjavik. In the west you have also beautiful places to go ( Barnarfossen and Hraunfossar waterfalls, Snaefellness tip ). In the North Akureyri is quite a scenic spot. We made a short nice trip to Hrisey Island ( we felt as in another world, isolated, quiet ). We tried to visit Myvatn Lake normally but it was impossible because of the flies everywhere, hard to believe but true!
Krafla/Godafoss/Namafjall is an active volcanic area quite interesting as also is Detiffoss/Jokulsa Canyon/Asbyrgi.
The return by coastal road along Eastern Fjords is also really beautiful. We also did a short boat trip within Jokulsarlon Lake among the icebergs and the fog sometimes. Definitely Iceland is as varied as any other place in the world. I forgot to tell you that we stayed in Youth Hostels, quite simple but clean and quiet, and mostly lovely situation.