Dingle or Kinsale?

Search

Dingle or Kinsale?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dingle or Kinsale?

My husband and I are scheduled to leave for Ireland tomorrow (July 2nd). I have visited Ireland many times and my husband twice before. Unexpectedly, we now have the first three days unplanned and we're trying to decide between Dingle and Kinsale. We enjoy walking through towns, hiking, biking (not Lance Armstrong level though), yummy dining, wine and good craic. Thoughts on which town might suit us better? Also, please share any great b&b and/or restaurant that we must visit. Many thanks and slainte. Mary
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:16 AM

Mary, if you are leaving tomorrow, I wouldn't wait for replies. I would do a separate text search on dingle and kinsale -- lots of stuff and recent threads on both, and right up your alley.

Here's a vote for Dingle. Whatever you decide, you will have fun, because both areas are on my list of "favorites."
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:19 AM
eri

Both.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 11:33 AM

Mary, We just returned from our 18 day trip, 1st time to Ireland, wonderful trip...and great weather! We went to both and my favorite was Dingle. The best dinner of our trip was at the Half Door...save room for dessert. Chip had beef with a wine sauce and I had mussels and we split a hot, chocolate chip cheesecake with raspberry syrup and fresh cream, to die for! The Dingle Pen. loop was one of the most scenic areas (some people do hike it)and (in our opinion) much better than the Ring of Kerry. Many places to stop and explore. We had one of our best evenings of our trip at Murphy's pub...they locked the doors and finally had to give us and our new "best friends" from England, Scotland, and Wales the boot. Great fun! We walked all around the town...very nice. We stayed at a small B&B, O'Caleain's, cheap, basic, well located, but were not very available/friendly, very busy with other things(the owner does do an archeological tour-but was booked). One of the couples we met stay above Murphy's pub, and they really enjoyed it. Kinsale does have the prettiest harbor views we experienced, and walking around Charles Fort was very interesting. We stayed at O'Donovan's. Again, cheap, basic...very noisy...across from popular music pubs. Michael was very helpful with directions and dinner info. We enjoyed Jim Edward's, where we got our best meal for the money. Took the Ghost Tour...not very scarey, but fun. We used Kinsale as base to tour around. Both nice, but no question...Dingle.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 12:28 PM

Chip,
We also liked the half-door -- only had lunch, but it was a great lunch -- best mussels we've had in Ireland.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 01:09 PM

Dingle if you don't want to travel around much. Pound for pound, the scenery there is hard to match. That said, SW Cork is great and personally, I would find a little town other than Kinsale and take it from there. Kinsale is nice though, but probably quite crowded now. You can get great food in both.

My favorite B&B is on the north Dingle coast, "The Shores". Beautiful, comfortable rooms, spectacular views and all for E35 pp. Yes, you can stay for a bit cheaper, but not any nicer. Annette is wonderful. It's draw back is that it is one the other side of the peninsula. That is also a good feature. Unbelievably peaceful.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 01:36 PM

Another vote for Dingle here.
Old Jul 1st, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice all. I will discuss with hubby tonight. Best, Mary
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:33 AM

Yet another Dingle vote. I'm finding myself in the minority about Kinsale, which disappointed me. Struck me more like an EPCOT or Vegas version of an Irish town than the real thing. The biking is bound to be a lot tougher in Dingle, though.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM

If you're still reading...

Been to both, and liked them both. I had a better time in Kinsale...but that may have to do with the fact that I inadvertently ended up at a party as the only woman in a group of 100 Irish insurance salesmen.

Since I doubt you'll end up at the same party, I vote for Dingle for great ambience.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:08 PM

If staying in Dingle, Clonmara House is very good if they have rooms available. The owners were a bit stand-offish when we stayed but it's great property with nice rooms and a wonderful view of the harbor. Very quiet and a three minute drive or 15 minute walk into town. The owners do have a few younger children and werre probably just busy when we were there but at $56 Euro total for two people per night.... a great value and recommended.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 10:46 AM
BMC

Dingle was by far my favorite part of Ireland.