diesel vs gas in a car rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything different about driving a diesel car?
I need to rent a car (picking up in rome), and only drive automatic. Diesel seems to be a lot cheaper and more available. Have never driven one.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM

no difference in driving experience, just better on gas.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 04:57 AM
hsv

There actually is a difference in driving experience: An engine with similar hp output will most likely have more torque (although over a lower torque band, but in practice, it should be better) in a modern diesel.
Thus, in gear acceleration of a diesel is probably superior to that of a petrol powered car.
Especially with a smaller engine a diesel is likely to be your better option as it gives you better mpg and a slightly better acceleration. The trade-off is that it may be marginally noisier, but modern diesels have become very civilised.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:01 AM

JUST BE CAREFUL WHEN REFUELING THAT YOU USE CORRECT NOZZLE!!! Gas in a diesel engine can wreck havoc!
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:22 AM

You will probably never notice the difference except that your wallet won't be lightened as much with a diesel in Europe. The soot belching, chugging, noisy diesel engines are pretty much a thing of the past. However, if you specifically request one, you may be charged more by the agency. You should expect 15-20% more fuel efficiency and perhaps a similar saving in actual fuel price, so keep that in mind if you are asked to pay more. If you don't specify up front, there is still a fairly high probability that you will get one in anything larger that a mini or economy sized car.

Rick
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:45 AM
ira

hi gab,

Diesel fuel is cheaper, Diesel engines get better mileage.

Diesel fuel (gasol) is available at all stations where gasoline (benzine) is sold.

You are required to have an International Driver's Permit in Italy.
See http://www.aaasouth.com/home.asp

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 06:00 AM

IME diesels have a slightly "heavier" feel to them, but really, barely noticeable. And I've never been charged more by an agency for a diesel. I don't know why that would even be the case, as diesels are far more common than unleaded cars throughout Europe.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 07:44 AM

If you aren't trying to use one in the dead of winter when starting up a diesel can be a pain in the ass sometimes...our lat rental in France was a diesel and we enjoyed using it.

IMO, if you are renting a stick the ONE THING you need to make CERTAIN OF..and I am NOt talking about the insurance, the IDP, etc., etc. but rather making sure you know how to GET IT IN AND OUT OF REVERSE before you drive off.

Sound ignorant? Perhaps but believe me it isn't always as intuitive as people think...
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM

I'm surprised no one said this yet - the only difference I noticed is that diesel is messier when refueling. Look for and wear the little plastic/rubber gloves before you grab the nozzle to refuel. I guess diesel doesn't evaporate like gas but they always seem greasey compared to gasoline pumps.

After several rentals in Europe, I am a fan of the diesel.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
TCC

Get a diesel if you can. Cheaper petrol + better mileage.
As mentioned, if you get a diesel make sure you put
Gasolio in it.
Dukey - Had to laugh at your comment about using reverse on
a manual transmission. Got a little Renault for a rental
years ago and stopped at an Autogrill. When we were ready to leave I realized I couldn't figure out how to get it in reverse. My wife got behind the wheel and put it in neutral while I pushed the car backwards. That night I looked at the owners manual (only in French, Italian, Spanish)
The illustrations made me realize that I needed to lift straight up on the gear shift and move it very far right to get in reverse.
Good advice Dukey