Pros and cons of renting a Diesel car

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who can give me the pros and cons of renting Diesel rather than regular gas powered car in Italy? AutoEurope guy said Diesel is widely available and cheaper.

Anybody had experience with both (or either?)

(I seem to remember that MaiTaiTom had a hilarious story in Tuscany, with regard to Diesel and his rental car. Don't want to repeat that, but will be in the same neighborhood!)
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Just don't put gas in it. We drove a MBenz diesel in the US for years. The only really disadvantage is the diesel is oilier and smelly so carry a rag or glove to use on the pump handle when refilling. Other than better mileage and a little cheaper, no significant differences.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Most rental cars other than tiny ones in Europe are diesel. There are no downsides. You put diesel in it and it costs less than regular fuel and you go lots farther on it.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
What StCirq says.
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:21 PM

I don't know why there aren't more diesels in the US. They go miles further than reg.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM

"I don't know why there aren't more diesels in the US" Think Chevron. Diesel is less expensive to produce than gasoline, which results in fewer profits profits for the oil companies. They've had their way with the US for dozens of years and want to keep it that way.

"We drove a MBenz diesel in the US for years. The only really disadvantage is the diesel is oilier and smelly so carry a rag or glove to use on the pump handle when refilling. Other than better mileage and a little cheaper, no significant differences."

Someone really need to update their references. The newer diesel engines are as powerful as gasoline engines, get far better fuel economy, 50% in some cases, are clean burning and quiet.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:14 PM

Most places where you refuel will have disposable polythene gloves for you to use, so there is no need to provide your own rag or glove. You do need to be careful not to spill diesel fuel, since it does not evaporate at low temperatures.

The gloves are the same type customers are expected to use in Italian supermarkets when selecting fruit and vegetables.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM

Come on, it´s the same thing. Almost everybody I know owns a diesel car, no problems at all, you bet a far better mileage and it´s about 10% cheaper in most of Europe.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:41 PM

The cons of hiring a petrol-driven car in Italy, rather than a proper diesel car like everyone else, are that it costs more per litre and you use more of it per mile.

There are no pros. Absolutely none at all, and it's hard to understand why anyone would contemplate hiring one.

Though diesel's relative fuel efficiency is obviously true everywhere, diesel isn't cheaper than petrol everywhere - or even necessarily all year round. The vagaries of fluctuating production prices and of tax regimes can make diesel usually pricier in some countries (like Britain). But 99.9% of thge time, diesel's cheaper in Italy.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:50 PM

>Think Chevron. Diesel is less expensive to produce than gasoline, which results in fewer profits profits for the oil companies. They've had their way with the US for dozens of years and want to keep it that way.

It's not as much the evil oil companies - don't forget the oil refineries are run by private companies for profit in Europe too. It's simply inertia and lack of purity legislation. Most US diesel is lower quality - and a modern German, French or Japanese high-performance diesel engine is not your grandpa's diesel which could digest everything down to old vegetable oil. High sulfur contents take the edge away from the performance and make frequent repairs necessary. And the refineries will not add expensive desulfurizer equipment unless either forced by legislation or serving an already existing market.
And a legislation that might cost somebody a part of their profit - no matter how beneficial in the long run - is anathema in todays USA...
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM

I had an MBdiesel too and the diesel used to be cheaper here in the US.But I've noticed lately the price is just about the same or in some places more than gas. What gives?
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:33 AM

WE always hire a diesel when we can especially when driving the 400 mile from Glasgow to England. You wouldn't know it's not a petrol model except you can go so much further on a tank....it handles 90 mph on the motorway just fine! (er, sorry officer....I thought I was doing 70)
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:39 AM
hsv

What almost everyone else says: There are no cons to a Diesel rental car. Period.
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:40 AM

Just getting back on topic.
A few other things to bear in mind about diesel car rentals:
1. You cannot reserve diesel cars specifically. While most compact and intermediate cars are diesel, this isn't necessarily so and it depends on what the rental office happens to have in stock.
2. Sometimes you pay more for a diesel car than a regular gas. When doing a buy/buyback deal with Renault or Peugeot, you normally pay a premium for diesel. Whether the extra cost is worth while or not depends on how much driving you do, fuel economy for a particular model and the price difference between the two fuels.
3. As diesel engine has particularly good torque low down in rev range, it's an excellent choice for mountain driving and when towing or with a heavily laden car.
4. While the word diesel is universally understood, the diesel fuel is often called differently in local languages and indicated as such on pumps or nozzles: gazole (Fr), gasóleo (Sp), gasolio (It).
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM

A few years ago, Britain introduced a lower tax rate for low sulphur diesel. The oil companies all switched to low suplhur production, and you cannot now buy the high sulphur stuff.

We have bought diesel cars on and off for the past 25 years. They are usually more expensive, but generally hold their value better, and so the economics of the choice can vary. One thing you will always find is that a diesel will go further on a tankful of fuel. That is especially useful in Italy, where there are times of the day and week when purchasing fuel is difficult.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM

No cons
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:52 AM

The only con to a diesel car is that if you are hiring a superfast car it will be a bit slower.

That's it.

But for love of all that's holy, don't put the wrong fuel in it. This would take willful stupidity as the nozzles are different - but if you run out of fuel don't put something out of a jerrycan into it. You have to drain the whole engine (v expensive).

If I were hiring a car to do a lot of miles I'd hire a diesel.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:18 AM

Take it from someone who currently owns six (yes 6) old Mercedes and VW diesels here in the US, there is no reason not to try (and like) a modern European diesel. When you get back spread the word....we need them here.

Rick
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Actually the US aversion to diesel is twofold... the horrible experience that American motorists had with converted GM diesels in the 1970's and the fact that while European environmentalists see diesel as part of the solution, their US counterparts see it as part of the problem... so car companies would have to fight both consumers AND the environmental lobby in the US.

I much prefer small turbodiesels when I'm touring... a horrible little KIA I rented in the UK last year had the most wonderful engine I've ever driven in a small car (though the rest of the car was terrible)... but strangely while I always request a diesel in Italy, Hertz has yet to provide me with one... I've often suspected some unwritten rule about not giving Americans diesels ;-)
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:05 AM

No rental company can guarantee you make or fuel type....I always say Diesel of possible and sometimes I get them and sometimes I don't.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -