Did we miss anything?

Search

Did we miss anything?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did we miss anything?

My husband and I are going to be in Paris on 8-24 through 8-27. We have planned to go to the Chateau de Fontarnebleau, the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame and the Louvre (probably not all day. We thought about going to Versailles on the train. Has anyone taken a trip to Versailles? Is it a good idea to go on the train or to take a tour. What tour would you recommend and what one would be a moderate cost.

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Notre Dame and plan to walk to these areas from there. We are both retired and this is our first time to Paris. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think I posted this one correct!

Thank you
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM

If you are only in Paris for 3 days I'd drop both Versailles and Fontainebleau. There is too much to see in Paris itself. Save the trips out of the city for another visit.

If you absolutely *must* see a chateau, chose Fontainebleau. It will be much less crowded than Versailles.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM

Hi sunburst:
I will stay in Paris,without any day trip.But,if you must visit a Chateau; the Versailles is the nº 1 choice,but of course,it can be crowded.
Go there early if you decide to go.
Enjoy Paris!!!
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:50 AM

You will wear yourselves out trying to walk to the Arc de Triomphe or the Eiffel Tower from your hotel, especially if it's hot. There is nothing more dispiriting (to me, anyway) than a route march along the Champs Elysées or any of those seemingly endless boulevards of western Paris. Make the metro and buses your friends:
http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/tourists/
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:56 AM

Paris is a destination in itself. So much to see without even stepping foot in a museum or a tourist spot. Just strolling along the Seine (especially in the evening-magical), sitting in a cafe, window shopping, strolling in a park.

It will take the better part of a day to train to and visit Versailles. I would probably put that on my list for next time. Don't rush yourselves. Paris is beyond words. You will not want to leave.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM

If you must exit the city, limit yourself to one visit: Versailles, Fontainebleau, Chantilly, or Vaux-le-Vicomte. The advantage to Versailles is that it is well know and people relate to its history. The disadvantage to Versailles is that it is well know and so crowded that you might actually enjoy more one of the other mentioned châteaux. All an be reached by train from Paris.

I actually like Muse d'Orsay better than le Louvre so you might check into Orsay.

You cannot easily walk to all of the in town locations, particularly if you only have several days in Paris. Use the metro as suggested by others (buses are good too if you know where to disembark). Purchase a book of 10 individual, single ride tickets for 12.50€, good anywhere the metro travels. These may be shared and never expire (in case you have any left over, save them for your next trip).
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The metro is a godsend.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 11:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Take a Seine River boat ride when you first arrive to see many of the sights from the water. USe the Metro.
I prefer Musee d'Orsy over the Louvre too. Yu can do a highlights tour of the Louvre but the place is uge and can be overwhelmng. The outdoor Musee Rodin is lovely and near Musee d'Orsay.
Skip Fountainbleu adn Versailles this trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:52 PM

I would agree that you will be short changing Paris by leaving the cvity, if you have only that short a time. Unless Versailles has been a dream destination...

You can remind yourself that the Louvre is also a chateau, the winter home of french royalty.

Do a Seine crusie, but at night. Paris is called the city of lights for a reason, taking the cruise after dark will hlep you understand why. Good one at western tip of Ile de la City, with nice garden also.

The Louvre cannot be seen on one visit. So if you are going, plan beforehand, and limit yourself. Jaquemart-Andre, Marmottan, Rodin, and Cluny/Moeryn Age are small museums that could also be a substitute for 'the big one'. What are your interests?

Along with Notre Dane, Saint-Chapelle and Ile St Louis should be added. A nice area to spend a big chunk of a day, and to come back to eat.

Look at Paris Walks, they have a nice selection of english guided tours. Cityrama and Parisvision have coach tours of the city that could be a Day 1 overview for you.

Arc de Triomphe...after you see Louvre, Palais Royal, Tuileries Gardens, maybe some of the Passages (old indoor shopping arcades...but better), end up at Pace de la Cocorde. Nice views of fountain, Eiffel in distance, Arc at the end of the Champs Elysee, classic. Walking up the Champs...less so. If you are going to be going up the Eiffel tower, I might say think twice about going up Arc. I might even say take the metro up to the Arc instead of walking.

Eiffel Tower, Instead of taking public trnasit directly to it, I might approach it from the Right Bank. Take metro to Trocadero, walk between the twolarge Palais Chaillot biuldings, and you will get a spectacular view, Then cross bridge over to other side.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your tips. We know it is going to be hot there and also realize we may not be able to see all we have planned. We will definitely take the metro. We are not really into museums - what are the "main" attractions that we should see?
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM

Notre Dame (along with Isle de la Cite and Isle St Louis)

--Louvre courtyard, Pei's pyramid.
From there, walk through Tuilleries to
--Place de la Concorde
Here, especially at night, you can stand in 1 spot and see the Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Invalides, Louvre, boats along the Seine and many other Paris landmarks.
Then take Metro Line 1 from Concorde up to
Charles de Gaulle Etoile for the
--Arc de Triomphe
From there, take Metro Line 6 to Bir-Hakeim. Right after either Trocadero or Passy station the metro will come above ground to cross the river. Be ready for the best view you'll find of the Eiffel Tower. Get off at Bar-Hakeim to visit the
---Eiffel Tower.

Take a boat ride at sunset.

Luxembourg Gardens--on weekends you will find the charming scene of Parisian children floating their little boats in the vast fountains.

Musee D'Orsay can be done more quickly than the Louvre...and is well worth the time if you can fit it in.

These are some of my favorite things.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:00 PM

When you say you are not into museums, is it same as not being into art and history?

I don't go to museums in my hometown. It is small, unexciting, and expensive. However, I enjoy going to museums in Europe.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:42 PM

I loved Fontainbleu and Versailles, both. If you go to Fontainebleu see if you can make to Barbizon, such a quaint, cute town! Versailles is very impressive, for your short time, I would stsy in Paris!
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 06:21 PM

Bookmarking, thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 03:44 AM
JBX

Your first time to Paris? And with the myriad of sites to see in such a short time, are you planning to buy a museum pass? (Oui?)
http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

A Museum Pass can allow you quicker access, when there's a long line awaiting to buy tix/get in, as well as being better value than purchasing individual entry ticket. DO review the list of museums accessible w/ pass to ensure it has sites which are on your short list to see.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 03:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I would include the incomparable stained glass windows inside Sainte Chapelle, quite near Notre Dame.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 03:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
definitely a museum pass for short trips.

in fact the shorter the trip, the greater value it is - because even if you don't save much money, you do save time, which is what you don't have.