Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Destination wedding in Santorini - add-on options?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 4 (kids 10, 12) will be attending a wedding in Santorini in early July, and are looking for options for an open-jaw 2-week trip that might involve Italy. Can we rent houses in Santorini? Is a drive down the eastern coast of Italy worthwhile? Other add-on options?
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 02:58 PM

Are you going to spend any time in Greece? It seems a shame to fly into Santorini and then straight out again.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 03:13 PM

If you are in Greece, why visit Italy? You really underestimate the beauty of Greece. Why not visit some other islands (Symi, Rhodes, Sifnos) which are unique in the whole world, and next to Santorini in which you are going. Or visit some beautiful towns like Monemvasia and Nafplion? You can rent a house in Santorini. Whatever, if you insist, just Napoli is a gorgeous City, the most original Italian city of Italy, best food, best people. Go to Amalfi coast too and maybe Pompeii. But I insist on Greece, it is more kid friendly. The islands are ideal for families. Beach, Food by the sea, walk in the old city drive to the island's villages and see archeological sites and museums. Think about it.

I agree, stay in Greece and give it 2 weeks.
Original Poster

Yes, we are open to adding on time in Greece as well ... One open jaw could be Athens...very open to ideas
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

We love Greece, as we honeymooned there 15 years ago (did island-hopper cruise). Never been to Italy though, and seems close enough to try to do both, if we can find a practical way.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With children Naxos or Paros would be good island choices for Greece.
You could fly from Athens to Italy; it sounds like you're considering the Adriatic coast in Italy.Do you have a specific place in Italy you're considering?
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

No specific place in Italy, except my son really wants to see Venice.... Just beginning our research - would Adriatic coast make a good driving trip?
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 05:27 PM

No!
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Petros makes some interesting suggestions, but I wouldn't want to put together a trip involving Santorini, Symi, Rhodes, and Sifnos unless I had a month to travel. Ferry connections between different island groups (Santorini is in the Cyclades, Rhodes and Symi in the Dodecanese) aren't always straightforward. For practicality, Santorini and Sifnos would go well together, as would Rhodes and Symi.

I agree with HappyTrvlr that Paros and Naxos are good choices for families with children, and both are easy to reach from Santorini.

Your children are at an age when many have an interest in mythology. If yours are, Athens and Nafplion would be enjoyable for them. There are many ancient sites in the Nafplion region, and of course Athens speaks for itself. Delphi would be another interesting site, with it's legend of the oracle.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 09:01 AM

I would spend the entire time in Greece. Santarini is one of the most beautiful islands. My second favorite is Mykonos, but I believe you would have to fly back to Athens for a flight or ferry to Mykonos. Both Rhodes and Crete have nice beaches and are also lovely. We spent a few days in Paros, but preferred the other islands.