Reload this Page >

Designer eye glass frames

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Jill

I have heard conflicting opinions about saving money by buying glass frames in Europe over buying them here in the states. When seeing $200-$300+ prices here in the States,I am wondering if any of you have saved money purchasing glasses in Europe.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Jane

Where in Europe are you going? If you are going to the Uk I wouldn't buy them there they are much more expensive than in the states.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Jill

We will be traveling to Italy and France and I've been told they are far less expensive there.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:51 AM
EyeSpy

I disagree in part. I purchased a fantastic pair of ETRO designer frames during my last visit to Rome at OTTICA EFRATI just off the Spanish Steps and via Condotti for $140.00. You can't get this frame in the States or in many places in Europe (not even the ETRO store on via del Babuino in Rome had them and the salespeople remarked to me how much they liked them), so perhaps I was fortunate. However, I have noticed great frames in Rome are not expensive and many of the styles do not come here. Plus, you can get the VAT refund on them. If you want to see very interesting prices on frames, check out www.vision3k.com based in England. I ordered a different pair from them, and had the purchase within a week of placing my order on their website and they kept in touch with me via email about the shipping status of my order. I guess it all comes down to where you look and what you are looking for.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:53 AM
xxx

<BR><BR>I have never seen as many eyeglass stores as I did in Barcelona. Prices may have been a bit less expensive than in the States, but did not appear to me to be all that different.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Jean

I purchased frames in Rome. I thought the price was very good, and based on the comments I received here in the U.S. I know I made a very good stylish choice. <BR><BR>Can't wait to do it again!

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Anna

I purchased frames in Milan in May, I just had lenses put in them for $48. The frames were 60 Euro, they were the store's version of a designer frame. They had Armani and other designer frames for less than 200 Euro (I'm thinking around 125 to 150 Euro). We went to a chain optical store called S &amp; V. I think I definitely saved money, because most of the frames I like at home are $150 and up. My brother asked if I got new glasses, he smirked and said they looked &quot;European.&quot;

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:27 PM
JohN G

Cutler&amp;Gross, Kightsgreen, London, makes sunglasses and has a shop that sells vintage frames. Princess Di bought all her sunglasses here.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 02:32 PM
katie

I buy my eyeglass frames in Paris and always get interesting and good frames for less that the US. I usually end up with Armani. I got a great pair of Vuarnet sunglasses also.(Vuarnet costs around $250+ in the Metropolitan NY area, they were less than $200)<BR>Look in Galleries Lafayette, and along the Blvd St Germain and rue Honore.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Patrick

Do any of you also have your lenses made there and put in? I suspect my usual local place would charge me double for the lenses if I brought in my own frames.

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Andy

Patrick- the only problem you MAY run into -depending on where in the US you live-is whether or not your optical shop has the &quot;pattern&quot; to cut your lens-<BR>They won't charge you double because you did not purchase the frames from them locally-- lots of people bring in their old frames and just have new lenses put in when perscrip. calls for it-- so don't worry about THAT cost- just be concerned about your local yokle being able to cut that lens pattern....

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 06:04 PM
NYGirl

Hi Patrick,<BR>Yes I have had my prescription put into reading glasses in Paris, I carry it around with me for &quot;just in case&quot; and good thing, my glasses broke the day after we arrived! They did them exactly the way they do at home.<BR>I usually just bring the frames home and my guy does it here.