Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Know of any good leather store to buy purse in Rome??

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm dreaming of a brown leather purse that looks like Michael Kors style. I know they used to sell them at Macey's real pricey though. I'm tempted to go out and buy a new purse because I need one. But hello! I'm going the "Mecca of shopping". How do I justify buying a purse BEFORE goin to Rome?!
I much rather have a purse that I actaully bought in ITALY too....I just need to be more patient. But in the meantime I figured I get some good advice hopefully as soon as a I find out about some good stores and on what streets?????
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do not buy a new purse for your trip. Use one you already own and are familiar with. I would never take a brand new pocketbook traveling. Like shoes they should be broken in. Keep your eyes open when you're out and about in Rome. Although I'm guessing once you are actually there, ideas like this one may well fall by the wayside. Enjoy!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM

There are hundreds of leather stores in Rome, but one that I have often seen recommended is

Armando Rioda
00187 Roma
90, VIA BELSIANA
Tel: 06 45437374, 06 6784435

It's on one of the cross streets if you go down Via Condotti from Piazza di Spagna.

His things are handmade, I believe, so they may be quite expensive.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Hmmm, I didn't realize Armando Rioda is frequently recommended. I told schnookies about it on June 4th, I believe, and as I said in that post, his handmade leather goods can be purchased at great (meaning not very expensive) prices. Of course, what's not expensive to one person may be to others, so I'll give some examples. Two years ago, Armando made a small duffel bag, about 20 inches long and 12 inches high for us to match a much larger duffel we had bought the previous year. Both were made out of incredibly soft leather and look amazing. Price for the small duffel was $150.00 and he made it in two and half days.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Sorry, Grinisa, I didn't see your post.

And yes, I've seen him recommended in several places.

And no, I didn't realize that his prices were so extremely reasonable.
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:19 AM

I don't know if the store I have in mind has a location in Rome, but 3 years ago I bought a beautiful brown leather satchel handbag at Cuoieria Fiorentina while in Siena. I wasn't looking for a handbag but we had a few hours to kill before catching our bus back to Florence (it was August 15, a national holiday in Italy and the day before the Palio, and buses were running on a very infrequent schedule). I think I paid about 200 Euros for the bag. They had a huge selection of women's handbags. Whenever I travel I don't like to buy a handbag that I could pick up 2 miles from my home; I like to get something different and unique.
Old May 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM

freberta, I also bought a handbag from Cuoieria Fiorentina in Siena, in a beautiful glossy orange leather, but I don't think there is a branch in Rome.

On the Via dei Chiavari in Rome, just around the corner from the Campo dei Fiori, there is a leather workshop/shop whose name I cannot remember but it has appealing designs.

A trip to Italy without the purchase of a handbag is rare in my experience.
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:29 AM

The leather store near the Campo dei Fiori is called Ibiz and it is at Via dei Chiavari,39.