Deposit for Benussi (or any room)

Sep 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Deposit for Benussi (or any room)

I am staying at Apartment Benussi in Dubrovnik is October. They asked for a deposit of $50 either by bank transfer or traveler's check. I went to my bank (Bank of America) and they said a transfer to Croatia will cost $50 and the smallest amount of traveler's check is $500.

Does anyone know of another option? Paying $50 for a $50 bank transfer seems ridiculous!
Sep 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Hi bakerette, if they will allow you to mail a travellers check is there any chance they would allow you to mail them a certified check?
Sep 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM

That's an idea, as I've mailed certified checks abroad.

But where do you live, anyway? In the US? Because saying the smallest amount of TCs is $500 is nuts, get another bank or just get them somewhere else. Not sure if that means they won't get you any for less than $500 or that is the smallest check (which is not true, they go down to $20 denominations). You can get them free at AAA, it would be cheaper just to join AAA at a minimum level for a year. I think that's $59. If you want them in euro, they do charge a rate differential for that, though. They don't have $500 minimums, anyway.

Now maybe you don't want to join AAA (although I like the company), but there is something wrong with your bank. But since you are quoting USD, I'd just send them a cashier's check, I agree.
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Bakerette, I am staying at Benussi's in October also - the 14th - 17th. When will you be there? But to answer your question, I sent Jandranka a money order from the Post Office and she couldn't get it cashed in Croatia. My son, who was in the Peace Corps in Tonga regulary sends money to a young man in Tonga. My son uses Western Union. I emailed and asked him what he does and this is his answer: "I send the money through the Western Union website. You can use a credit or debit card. However the credit
card will charge a fee in addition to the western union fee. Only visa and mastercard are accepted. I
have never done this but if you have cash you can go to Kroger and send the money order from there. Why do
you need western union? If you want to send me money I will accept a personal check" So there you have it. Hope this helps.
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:13 PM

bakerette, When I encountered the same problem you're having, I used Western Union. This was a couple months ago. Their website didn't provide for sending money to Croatia, so I made the transaction over the phone using my credit card. I saved a lot of money using Western Union.
Sep 7th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Try asking really nicely and maybe she'll waive the deposit. She did for us!!
Sep 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM

We have asked nicely several times (as mentioned above) and so far have NEVER had to place a deposit. Works very well!
Sep 8th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who responded. After explaining the situation to Jadranka and asking what she would like me to do, she said not to worry about the deposit.
Sep 8th, 2006, 08:54 AM

That is great bakerette!! Thanks for reporting back. Have a wonderful trip, I know my friends in Italy love Dubrovnik and I am sure you will also!!

Search this Thread